Good evening from the Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ham Bone

Original poster
Aug 2, 2018
Southern Cali
Good evening all,
Name is Jeremiah and happy to meet you.
Started lurking on the site this morning and decided I'd stop being a lurker and just join up.
I'm in the Navy living in Southern California with 3 years until retirement. Good BBQ is a little hard to find out here and figured now's as good a time as any to start doing my own at home.
I'm a big believer in researching before purchasing so here I am.
WSM and PBC have peaked my interest when considering initial cost and learning curve.
Any other suggestions for a "First Smoker" are appreciated.
I look forward to getting to know ya'll, absorbing your knowledge, sharing thoughts, and enjoy some BBQ.
Cheers,
Jer

you will get heaps of people here tell you that the WSM is the way to go.
the WSM would last you forever and is a good introduction to Charcoal smoking.

Welcome to the fold, good luck with your smoke's.

Welcome to SMF from Indiana! I’m still on my first smoker. It’s a charbroil COS. It requires more tending to than a lot of entry level smokers. I enjoy it. For a first smoker most people would probably want something a little more user friendly. For me the price was right and I like tinkering with things so it was a good fit. They don’t cost a lot to make some basic modifications to. If it sounds like something you would like there is a lot of information you can read on the forum about COS “cheap offset smokers”. Hope you enjoy getting into smoking. Thanks for joining the site.

Welcome to the site glad you decided to join. I'll cast my vote for the WSM. It's well built and very easy to use.

Chris

Welcome and thank you for your service. What you can afford and wither you want charcoal, propane or electric makes a big in your decision. There is nothing wrong with a WSW.

Warren

Thanks for the welcome folks. (HalfSmoked: your welcome and serving the County is my pleasure).
I'm sticking to wood/charcoal as a fuel source. I find my taste preference has always leaned toward the flavors that wood/charcoal produce.
That does remind me of a question...What's the verdict on the pellet smokers? I've never even been around one just seen them in the store and mentioned in a couple of posts.

Guess I'll get back to scouring the forum.
Thanks again fellas and have a great TGIF and Weekend (sure somebody out there is smoking!)
Cheer,
Jer

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky