Good Article on why bellies are expensive!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Could not read the article without subscribing. How about a Readers Digest synopsis...JJ

Basically the US had bred a new generation of pork and beef critters with about 35% reduced fat. By doing so the meat has changed and is much tuffer and has less flavor, but it is healthier than "heritage" meant which are all but gone now.

The people who still have strains of the old heritage are not available to grow fast enough for the home butchers to get any. The master chefs are buying all available and the farmers who thought to carry on the breds are getting premium prices AND controlling who they are selling breeding pairs. Seems some folks were crossing the heritage with todays leaner one generation and selling there hogs at premium pricing. So finding fat pig today with good bacon makin sides currently is near impossible for any one except the established master chefs. It also went into detail about the difference in color, density and flavor of the meat. 

It had 6 basic varieties listed but I don't remember any since I am NOT getting back into having pigs or cows, or chickens.....Nope nope nope no more!!

I guess other than all the examples, we have bred out the taste to have the healthier card board. But it has hurt the cooking because fat is not as smooth or buttery, the hogs are now on average 2 inches less on top fat. Don't ask me how they know but it was something that stuck with me.

Thats about it.  Was a lot more science, alot more examples, alot more breeders, etc etc.....

I would like to get a breeding pair of American Guinea Hogs to keep my family and a few friends in quality meat. It is hard to find a farmer that can supply 4 hogs a week year round, considering the tiny AGH takes almost 2 years to reach it's full grown 200 pounds. Fortunately if you want to raise them for home eating, homestead families that have more piglets than freezer space sell them off reasonably cheap at around $100 a head...JJ

Last edited:
Oh no! No more cold wet fall mornings scraping for me...... nope nope nope...

I know lots of folks that did the same as us. We'd buy  piglets at the auction house, we raised our on corn, that feed everything from chickens to calves, and then we'd divid 'em up for those who helped. Helped plant, pick and crush corn, you got a pig, you looked after the critters when we were outa town, get a pig, You butcher the hogs you get a pig. Worked out great but these days those type people are few and far between anymore. I still have all my hog pens in good condition. Maybe I can rent 'em out to some city slicker for a pig or two..>..LOL

Heck we used to raise on top of all the others, 4 big hogs for Pop's yearly pig roast. Pop recorded the squeals on year.... of each pig. Ya know I got really lucky when they passed out parents.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky