Going to start smoking....need info on equipment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigjoec

Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
I am literally just beginning my smoking adventure.  I don't have a ton of $ and am debating between a charcoal smoker and an LP gas smoker.  I was considering getting a Master Forge charcoal smoker from Lowes for $60 or maybe the Master Forge LP gas smoker for $150.  I really don't know which is best.  I would assume that the LP is easier to maintain temp and is less work to keep going than the charcoal.  But then would the charcoal give more of a smoke flavor?  I don't want to spend too much at first but also wouldn't want a low end smoker to give me a bad impression of smoking.  Any words of wisdom?

If you are the slightest bit handy with tools, consider building a UDS. Very cheap, very efficient, and very simple to operate.

Wow!  That's someting i never considered.  I am handy as I remodeled our entire home.  How would I find out how to best, most cost efficiently make one?

Welcome to the forum!

Picking a smoker is a bit tough at first. Under the Forum header at the top of the page you will see links to smoking equiptment and under that are various links to the differant types of smokers that people are using. I suggest you spend a week or two reading the forums and see what type of smoker you feel will fit your style. Also make sure to sign up for the free 5 day E-course on the home page, it has a lot of good solid basics for those just getting started.

If you do look at charcoal smokers one thing to maybe consider is a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker), they are made from 55 gallon steel barrels and work really, really well. But you do have to be a tad bit handy with tools to make them - but they are not hard to make if you got the tools.

Personally I started with a cheap smoker myself and ended up selling it after 8 months to get a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM), which is an awesome charcoal smoker. You can get the 18.5" model for $250-$299, or the 22.5" model for $350-$399.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, and also check craigslist, sometimes there are great deals on smokers there.

A UDS would a great smoker. I have both a charcoal and a watt burner myself, I've seen a propane one on here before. The instructions are in my signature for mine. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky