going to dump my pit boss

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see the meat temp not the smoker temp. I have mostly smoked ribs on time not temp.
What I am going to do is try again, this time using SmokinAl SmokinAl s perfect ribs every time method, which calls for monitoring temp.
Really appreciate all the comments, my OP was out of frustration, but I am over it and will give the PB a few more tries.

Reactions: RCAlan
not sure electric is the way to go (at least MES). I have had 3 MES smokers (all 30s I think). I really like them and still use them, but mostly for cold smoking cheese (and now that is an issue). the problem I found is that the electric components go bad and and sometimes go back quickly. each of mine have failed (the last one just the other day - couldn't even turn it on briefly to warm the smoker with cheese (like it at 60-70). they pop the breakers. They can be repaired, but it is a big inconvenience when you are ready to smoke 40# of sausage!!! My original unit is still being used (gave to a friend who replaced the electric panel and since replaces the burner unit) - it is easily 10 years old. My next unit is the one that just popped breakers - will likely replace the panel on that one. My newest unit worked about 2x before it tripped breakers. Have kept it and will likely replace electric panel when I do the other. The think I have liked most about the Pit Boss pellet smoker is the need to not feed it every 20 minutes. Also like that I get a smoke ring now.

Usually my ribs are OK, but I attribute a lot of that to luck. It's just hard to get a good internal temp reading when the meat is thin and that close to bone. At the end I bring out my little penny-sized dial thermometers because there's less mass in those probes than in my more trusted (at least for large cuts) electronic probes. I never really feel I'm pulling ribs with anything more than gut feel. But I do believe it's usually best to go a little longer than you feel you should and rely on more frequent spritzing and sauces to protect against the possibility of "too dry" ribs. The collective wisdom of the great cooks on this forum (and I'm NOT one of them) is always appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky