Godfather "Luca Brasi" Spaghetti.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hawging It

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 1, 2019
Southeast Mississippi
I love the Godfather movies and any movie or documentary about the mafia. Actually a DON got whacked last night in Stanton Island NY. If you never watched the Godfather movies then, I can't cover it here. Those that have watched the series get it. Picked up this simple spaghetti recipe about 15 years ago. Very simple and use your imagination for the spice. A good cook can figure it out. Zero need for all the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and all the other stuff that takes all day in the big pot. This was cooked in a large high sided black iron skillet per normal for the last 15 years.
1) Italian Hot Sausage
2) Diced Bell Pepper
3) Diced White Onion
4) Bertoli 5 cheese sauce or your favorite!
5) Greek seasoning
6) Tony's Cajun Seasoning
7) Black pepper
Not going into all the step by step things. If you are a COOK you will do it your way and figure it out. It is very good and very simple!! Hope you try it and post your results. Take care smokers!!

ITALIAN HOT SAUSAGE.jpg
BELL PEPERS AND CRUSHED PEPPERS.jpg

Attachments

• ONIONS.jpg
    ONIONS.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 39
  • SPICES.jpg
    SPICES.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 40
  • SAUCE.jpg
    SAUCE.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 42
  • LUCA .jpg
    LUCA .jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 42
That sounds like a good mix, going in my file and will try soon. I’m looking for a good meatball recipe to try. If you got one let me know.
Thanks for posting
Good deal! You can take the Italian Sausage and make balls out of them but make up the loss of the sausage and add to the pot. Just my view on that, I kike lots of sausage!

That sounds like a good mix, going in my file and will try soon. I’m looking for a good meatball recipe to try. If you got one let me know.
Thanks for posting

Been making these a long time!...JJ

Grandma's Meatballs

1Lb Ground Beef
1Lb Ground Pork
1Cup Grated Onion, or pureed.
4-5 Cloves Minced Garlic, can be pureed.
2C Italian Breadcrumbs
2ea Large Eggs
1/2C Milk
1C Parm Reggiano Cheese
1tsp Dry Oregano
1tsp Black Pepper
1tsp Table Salt
Optional: 1-2tsp Red Pepper Flakes

Mix all until well combined but not getting pasty like sausage. This keeps them tender.
Add some water to a bowl or Deep plate. Dip you hands in the water, pull off the desired size meat balls, 1oz, Ping Pong ball size, 2tsp Golf ball size. Roll into balls.
Place the Meatballs in a greased baking dish. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes or Pan Fry until brown and cooked to 160°F. Add to simmering sauce the last 30 minutes or serve just topped with sauce and more grated Parm on the side.
Makes about 48 1oz or 24 28oz meatballs

Reactions: weev
Because my last name is pronounced the same way as is Brasi, I ended up with Luca as a nickname after The Godfather movie came out. If you've never read the book you are missing a treat, even if you've seen the movie(s). It is a great read.

Sauce in a jar??? Blasphemy!!

Now, now...It's a great time saver. I use it in a pinch or for dishes that have a strong flavor. We do an Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions simmered in Jarred Tomato sauce. Jar sauce is fine on Pizza, a Fast Meal of Pasta with Jarred Sauce snd Frozen Meatballs is done in 20 minutes. Jar Sauce as a component in few other dishes, saves making a big batch of homemade to get a Cup or two. Jarred Sauces are a lot better than they were years ago. The PA locally made DelGrosso is great. Francesca Rinaldi is very good but a touch on the sweet side. Classico 4 Cheese is rich and savory. Sauces like Prego and Ragu, sucked 40 years ago and still do...JJ

Reactions: banderson7474
Now, now...It's a great time saver. I use it in a pinch or for dishes that have a strong flavor. We do an Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions simmered in Jarred Tomato sauce. Jar sauce is fine on Pizza and asimmer a component in few other dishes. Jar Sauce is a lot better than it was years ago. The PA locally made DelGrosso is great. Francesca Rinaldi is very good but a touch on the sweet side. Classico 4 Cheese is rich and savory. Sauces like Prego and Ragu, sucked 40 years ago and still do...JJ

I'm just messing with you. I use it too when I don't have the time. However, I have a passed on recipe for sauce that I love to make but yep, it takes a good portion of the day.

Sure no problem. So this is my Uncle Tom's recipe. He's not my blood but my step mom bro in law. He's full Italian and I grew up having this at every family gathering. What amazed me is how simple it is.

Meatballs:

1. 3-5 lbs of ground beef (I like to mix ground pork with the beef)

2. 1 cup of parmesan cheese “Locatelli”

3. Parsley (cover the top, either fresh or spice jar)

4. Extra Virgin Oil “Bertolli” (I poured about a 2-3 shots)

5. Bread Crumbs – small box (I usually only do half a box. Just seems like a full box is too much)

6. 1 egg per pound of beef

7. 1 onion

8. 350 degrees in the oven for about 45 min (depends on the size, I make them tennis ball size)

9. Place in sauce for the last hour of cooking the sauce (I don't put all of them in but whatever you think is enough. I like to have some on the side for a snack)
Sauce: (I like to make a big batch for freezing so I double everything below)

1. Olive oil (one shot)

2. Chop fresh garlic (sauté garlic in olive oil)

3. Crushed Tomatoes (4 cans)

4. Bay Leaf (one teaspoon)

5. Basil

6. Parsley

7. Salt and Pepper

8. Oregano (teaspoon)

9. Cook 4 hrs

10. Italian Sausage (cook on the side the last ½ hour, I will remove the casings and cook in a pan and then add to sauce
Noodles:

1. Traditional Basil Pesto “Classico” 1 Jar (It was hard to find in the store but it was worth the search.

2. Place 1/2 in the boiling water and then half on the noodles when finished.

So notice I didn't put amounts of herbs. Well I always eye it and then taste and add more if I need. I like a lot of garlic too so

I did make a few changes just to see if I would like it and I do.

1) just a little bit of sugar to the sauce (maybe 1/2 TBL)
2) cup of red wine

So that's it, hope anyone that tries it, lets me know what they think.

Reactions: dernektambura
If anyone's interested, below is my basic pasta sauce...JJ

JJ's Marinara Sauce

2T Olive Oil
2C fine Chopped Onion
1C fine Chopped Carrot
2-3ea lrg Cloves Garlic, minced (1Tbs)
2ea 28oz. Cans Diced Tomatoes
12oz Tomato Paste
12oz Red Wine
1tsp Oregano
1tsp Salt
1tsp Black Pepper
1C Fresh Basil Leaves, torn (Big handful.)
1T Sugar if needed.
Lots of Parm Reggiano Cheese for pasta

Heat oil in a large Heavy Bottom Stock Pot
Saute Veg until Onion is translucent and golden.
Add Tomato Paste and saute until it darkens slightly.
Add wine and reduce 3-5 minutes to concentrate flavor.
Add remaining, except Basil and Sugar.

Bring to a Boil, reduce Heat and simmer, uncovered, to desired Thickness.
Add Basil and adjust seasoning. If too acidic add sugar to taste.
Stir every Ten Minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot to keep from burning

Serve Sauce over your Fav pasta. Top with Cheese. Makes about 7 Cups of Sauce, enough for 2 pounds of Pasta...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
So interesting the difference sauces. I'll have to see if I can get my computer working that has my recipes in it. I know it by heart, by instinct really, but don't have the time to write it out now. My palm is my measuring device for the spices, but I don't have much problem getting close to teaspoon to tablespoon. Learned the recipe from my Italian mom, then changed it to suit my likes. Hers was WAY too thin for my taste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky