Goat Yeah Goat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Goat is delicious.  If you get the chance you need to try the chops.  I marinated my chops in italian dressing and then smoked them.  They were AMAZING!!! 

I have a question on this Old thread.

We don't have goat in the store  in these parts.  I've priced goat on the hoof and there about $150.00.   I learned real quick you don't tell people what you want the goat for....

I want to try this.  It looks really awesome.  I don't really want to raise one and to me buying one on the hoof is a little pricey.    Any suggestions.  

I really don't care for the taste of leg of lamb.  Does goat taste the same?

Thanks in advance

Looks-Great.gif
I love goat!

We don't have goat in the store  in these parts.  I've priced goat on the hoof and there about $150.00.   I learned real quick you don't tell people what you want the goat for....

I want to try this.  It looks really awesome.  I don't really want to raise one and to me buying one on the hoof is a little pricey.    Any suggestions.  

Thanks in advance
Wes I have posted several goat dishes with a bit of my take on it as a meat.Obviously being way down here
aussieflag.gif
I cant help you with where to buy it.But if you check out my posts theres about 4? on goat you may get some ideas.

Can I just add this , it has a taste of its own milder than lamb,its lean so can dry out if you dont manage it & its all about size. Here the Italians like them small 8kg tops ,sweet tender but watch them like a hawk if you are BBQing ,as a braise not so critical. I like the next size up 10 to 13kg. Leaving aside the 3 different curries I did(Jamacian,Malaysian,Fijian) I found that if you could get a bit of extra fat from around the kidney or a bit of lamb fat again from around the kidney & bash together a paste with your herbs of choice etc that helps. Rub it or put bits of it in cuts in a leg before cooking.Am I making sense? You just process the fat into a paste with cbp,salt,garlic,EVO then rosemary sprigs &/or oregano insert it in cuts/holes you put in with a boning knife. Big older goats are a tough assignment & I would steer clear.

If its to your taste have a look at the jerk goat I did by adapting the late great scarbellies recipe.

I just love that brick smoker you built.If there is any goat dairy outfit anywhere near you they will have a supply of young males. 

Its cheaper than lamb here $12 a kg bigger ones ,$16 small stuff.Apparently we are shipping a lot of goat skins to China for leather so theres a double market so to speak.

Good luck.MICK

Thanks in advance

Look on Craig's list for Boer goats. They are a meat goat breed......

Yes if to are talking to someone like my wife......don't tell them you are wanting it for food. Most places will only sell males. If you get one make sure it is not in rutt........they stink....... $150 is not too bad.... Is it dressed for that price?

Thanks for the reply Mick.  I have read a lot of your post.   I try to read before I post. I do understand what your saying about  preparing it for smoking.

If there's one place I'd love to visit before I die, its Australia.  Not sure why?  Seems like an awesome place.  But, I probably won't get the opportunity.  

There are several goat farmers around.  I learned real quick not to tell them what you wanted them for.   The Hispanic folks love goat, as does every other country but the US.  I'd just like to try it for myself.   Something new, something different.  The best price I could find here on goat is $150.00 for a 75 pound goat on the hoof.   We are so limited where we live.  No big cities within 100 miles.   I'll keep looking for a hind quarter.  Hopefully I can find one somewhere.  Thanks for you help!

Thanks for the kind words about my smoker.   So far, it has served me well.   I learned today its really hard to keep a low temp smoking salmon.

Wes

I just suggested you read my goat stuff so I didnt have to type it all again.I think smoking foiling pulling looks good as well. Foods one of those funny things,some people like you & me have a broad approach to food & will try any thing because its there we are curious or its what the locals are eating. Others just eat what they know.

I think I could get a 12kg goat whole dressed for $120 or close.  My calculations put your goat as 50 pound dressed so 23 kg thats pretty big & could be a bit chewy.Where you guys just kill is your prices on pork & beef its just so cheap.

I love my country it has its faults but its a great place to live.There are only 26 million of us but we get a bit of attention because we are a bit different & a bit the same if you are an English speaker.

Holidays are about time of year.Our summer december to feb can be a challenge. Our winter is laughable by northern hemisphere standards.

I have had a great time on this forum & learnt a hell of a lot.

I do love that brick smoker!

Thanks again.  I had the brick from the house.  It was built in 1907.  Those were the brick from the chimney we tore down.   I had laid block before,but never brick.  It was a fun project, but I was glad to see it done too.  :-)

No need to retype.  I read most of all the goat topics.   I agree with you.   Growing up my father used to raise rabbits to eat. We had chicken, a hog and a milk cow.  It was a way of life.  We hunted but sometimes the hunting is thin.   Here in the mountains of North Carolina, our winter is Dec. through Feb.   We are suppose to get down to around 15 degrees tonight.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky