GMG Davy Crockett

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey broils

Original poster
Mar 12, 2016
I've been in the market for a smaller, cheaper pellet smoker. I was very interested in the Rec Tec mini because of its portability but they have now discontinued it. I have turned my attention to the GMG Davy Crockett. Everything about it is what I like....except i fear that it is too small. I love smoking full packer briskets and without that, well, it'd be a crying shame to own a smoker that can't smoke the King meat. So I'm wondering if anyone who owns a Davy has had experience smoking briskets (WITHOUT) separating the flat from the point. It amazes me how hard this has been to find this seemingly simple information. Thanks a lot. Stay smokey, my friends.

I have a friend that has one and he has done full packers, a few he has had to lop a bit off, or place a can under to arc the brisket up to fit. You have about 16" in length on the cooking grate.The last packer I bought for corned beef and pastrami making was right at 18". I could've crammed it in there.

I don’t have a GMG but my general rule is to buy bigger than you think. Within reason of course. It’s always nice to have more space. Like you I nearly bought the RecTec Mini but ended up buying the RT-680. I also use it as a grill and the extra space has definitely come in handy.

Reactions: smokey broils
I have a friend that has one and he has done full packers, a few he has had to lop a bit off, or place a can under to arc the brisket up to fit. You have about 16" in length on the cooking grate.The last packer I bought for corned beef and pastrami making was right at 18". I could've crammed it in there.
Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

I think I read somewhere on here that they are improving the mini and it should be out early to mid '18.
That is what I'm hoping. I tried asking Rec Tec myself but they won't give away any information other than "we've got some new products soon!" Haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky