• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

GMG Davy Crockett

smokey broils

Joined Mar 12, 2016
I've been in the market for a smaller, cheaper pellet smoker. I was very interested in the Rec Tec mini because of its portability but they have now discontinued it. I have turned my attention to the GMG Davy Crockett. Everything about it is what I like....except i fear that it is too small. I love smoking full packer briskets and without that, well, it'd be a crying shame to own a smoker that can't smoke the King meat. So I'm wondering if anyone who owns a Davy has had experience smoking briskets (WITHOUT) separating the flat from the point. It amazes me how hard this has been to find this seemingly simple information. Thanks a lot. Stay smokey, my friends.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
I have a friend that has one and he has done full packers, a few he has had to lop a bit off, or place a can under to arc the brisket up to fit. You have about 16" in length on the cooking grate.The last packer I bought for corned beef and pastrami making was right at 18". I could've crammed it in there.

ross77

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 1, 2013
I don’t have a GMG but my general rule is to buy bigger than you think. Within reason of course. It’s always nice to have more space. Like you I nearly bought the RecTec Mini but ended up buying the RT-680. I also use it as a grill and the extra space has definitely come in handy.

motocrash

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 25, 2017
I think I read somewhere on here that they are improving the mini and it should be out early to mid '18.

wanna-be-smoker

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Mar 13, 2013
Dont overlook or underestimate the camp chef line. If you want i can direct you to a group of over 5000 that will share thier honest opinions on them

smokey broils

Joined Mar 12, 2016
I have a friend that has one and he has done full packers, a few he has had to lop a bit off, or place a can under to arc the brisket up to fit. You have about 16" in length on the cooking grate.The last packer I bought for corned beef and pastrami making was right at 18". I could've crammed it in there.
Thank you very much! I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.