Glazed Pork side ribs ( 2 kinds ) and Inside Out Mashed Potato and Gravy Bombs ( picture heavy )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The plate looks great! From the comments, the Potatoes generated a lot of interest. Here too. The Potatoes, just mashed and seasoned or is there Butter and Cream/Milk added? Thanks...JJ

Reactions: DRKsmoking
The plate looks great! From the comments, the Potatoes generated a lot of interest. Here too. The Potatoes, just mashed and seasoned or is there Butter and Cream/Milk added? Thanks...JJ

Thanks for the like andd the comment Chef

Yes the potatoes are of some interest to some. I have done these before but smaller and just seasoned and the flour , milk, and paprika bread crumbs.
So to answer your question. This time no butter or milk/cream. I wanted them to stay sticky so they held the frozen gravy without cracking and leaking.
I did pepper and light salt , fine chopped onion and parsley.
But the mashed was still light and tasty, with a nice outside crunch from the light Pam spray on the outside , worked great in the smoker.

David

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Glazed Pork side ribs ( 2 kinds ) and Inside Out Mashed Potato and Gravy Bombs "I know I take a lot of pictures "

Pork side ribs Whole. Cut the rack in two pieces
- First glaze is my Cherry and Rhubarb Jam, I made in the summer . One batch was to thick to use for jam , so back than I mentioned that I will use for a Glaze and in turnovers
- Second glaze is soya based and brown sugar and water , so not too salty
Used my rib spice mix and rubbed into the ribs and in fridge for couple hours

View attachment 513699 View attachment 513700 View attachment 513701

Set smoker at 225 Deg. with Hickory pellets and 2 chunks of Mesquite on top of them in CI pan
Put the ribs in for 2 hours , put temp up to 250 Deg. for next hour

View attachment 513704 View attachment 513705 View attachment 513706

While this is going on I made my gravy let it cool and than into the FREEZER in ice cube tray , yes that's what I said. Ice cube tray
Also boiled the potatoes ( just fork tender ) not too soft. Still want a little sticky , mashed and added fine chopped onions and lots of parsley

View attachment 513707 View attachment 513708

Also started the 2 glazes , For the Cherry Rhubarb , I only had to add a little water, as it was like solid pudding. Just let it simmer until nice and smooth , except for the cherry pieces.
for the soya glaze , I used half Soya Sauce and half water , brown sugar , all to taste . Not too salty, than thicken with corn starch

View attachment 513709

Ribs have been 3 hours , now wrap with a little apple juice for 1 hour . Temp now at 300 Deg.
Remove from foil and put on first coat of glaze, one on each piece

View attachment 513710 View attachment 513711

So while these are cooking, check my ice gravy ( ha ha ) it is set, now take potato and flatten out enough to wrap around the gravy
form into a nice ball , Roll in flour , milk and bread crumbs with Paprika

View attachment 513712 View attachment 513713

View attachment 513714

Now out to the "Smokers Shed " , spray with Pam to help the bread crumbs to crust. Flip the ribs put on another coat of Glaze.

Put temp up to 325. Deg. , for30 minutes and flip the ribs again and coat again. Pull Ribs let rest in the house. 15 more minutes for the Potatoes
View attachment 513715 View attachment 513716
View attachment 513717

Everything is done , so plate it up Cherry ribs for me and Soya Ribs for Mona , and I did take a small piece of hers . Said it was for Quality Control. Got a weird look. lol

It was all great Maybe bigger cubes of gravy but I was told that it was just enough.
So here is the finished pictures . All plated up with some lettuce, tomato and sliced green pepper. And my bread and Butter pickles

View attachment 513720 View attachment 513721 View attachment 513723

View attachment 513722

Thanks for making it to the end

Supper was great , but no Dessert, guess I will just have ice cream. lol

David
Looks Great!
Definitely going to try the mashed potato and gravy bombs, good idea.

It all looks awesome! Have to say I love the way your brain works... especially with the potatoes! It has to be alot of work licking the ice cube tray clean of gravy! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
It all looks awesome! Have to say I love the way your brain works... especially with the potatoes! It has to be alot of work licking the ice cube tray clean of gravy! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the like and the comment

My brain hurts some times when I start to think about mixing ideas together, lol

I now own the ice cube tray that I used , and it was tongue licking good. Sometimes Mona
has no sense of humor, Shes not here now so I can say that.

David

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Dang that is a good looking meal David!
Love the color of your ribs!
Al

Thanks Al for the like and the comment

The Soya sauce glaze was Black and tasted very nice , Mona love her pork or beef cooked with soys sause
The Cherry Rhubarb was really good and a deep Red, really nice flavor also and sticky

David

Wow David, I almost missed this...well I did actually miss it but just saw it pop up on the main page. That meal looks incredible buddy!! You have certainly been posting some outstanding meals recently and I've loved seeing them. the color on those ribs is totally off the charts.

I have never seen those gravy Bomb potatoes, I’m definitely using that. Thank you for sharing!

Make that about 27 of us!! Can't tell you how much I love this idea. Mashed taters & gravy is a food group in and of itself and one of my absolute favorites. Now I just need to find some ice cube trays. We have a commercial ice maker out in the garage so no need for the trays. I bet I can find something that'll work for the gravy though.

WOW!!
Robert

That is outstanding David. Really like the mashed potato and gravy balls. I will have to try that out sometime. The last picture is carousel worthy for sure. Big LIKE!

Wow David, I almost missed this...well I did actually miss it but just saw it pop up on the main page. That meal looks incredible buddy!! You have certainly been posting some outstanding meals recently and I've loved seeing them. the color on those ribs is totally off the charts.

Make that about 27 of us!! Can't tell you how much I love this idea. Mashed taters & gravy is a food group in and of itself and one of my absolute favorites. Now I just need to find some ice cube trays. We have a commercial ice maker out in the garage so no need for the trays. I bet I can find something that'll work for the gravy though.

WOW!!
Robert

Thanks Robert for the like and the comment

I really liked making this , the ribs were great , both styles . And the mashed potatoes were very cool, I did not fill the cubes up to the top
because I was not sure how they would hold up being done in the smoker. Deep frying would be quicker and would seal the potato better. But the
crust held really well. I will be doing this again but with full cubes.

As you can see from some of my cooks, I love my gravy on potatoes also

The Cherry Rhubarb Jam was the bomb on the ribs , Good smoke , Mona even said that it was not too strong for her . I am getting the chunk wood to burn better . I guess I'm getting the hang of the burn now.

Thanks for your comments , means a lot

David

That is outstanding David. Really like the mashed potato and gravy balls. I will have to try that out sometime. The last picture is carousel worthy for sure. Big LIKE!

Thanks for the like and the comment

It was fun to try the potatoes this way , who would have thunk it. Frozen gravy . lol

Please do give it a whirl, 🌪 and let me know how it turned out

And thank you , it was a good looking plate, and tasted better

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky