Glazed Pork side ribs ( 2 kinds ) and Inside Out Mashed Potato and Gravy Bombs ( picture heavy )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Glazed Pork side ribs ( 2 kinds ) and Inside Out Mashed Potato and Gravy Bombs "I know I take a lot of pictures "

Pork side ribs Whole. Cut the rack in two pieces
- First glaze is my Cherry and Rhubarb Jam, I made in the summer . One batch was to thick to use for jam , so back than I mentioned that I will use for a Glaze and in turnovers
- Second glaze is soya based and brown sugar and water , so not too salty
Used my rib spice mix and rubbed into the ribs and in fridge for couple hours

DSC_3276.JPG DSC_3279.JPG DSC_3281.JPG

Set smoker at 225 Deg. with Hickory pellets and 2 chunks of Mesquite on top of them in CI pan
Put the ribs in for 2 hours , put temp up to 250 Deg. for next hour

4.JPG 7.JPG 8.JPG

While this is going on I made my gravy let it cool and than into the FREEZER in ice cube tray , yes that's what I said. Ice cube tray
Also boiled the potatoes ( just fork tender ) not too soft. Still want a little sticky , mashed and added fine chopped onions and lots of parsley

5.JPG 6.JPG

Also started the 2 glazes , For the Cherry Rhubarb , I only had to add a little water, as it was like solid pudding. Just let it simmer until nice and smooth , except for the cherry pieces.
for the soya glaze , I used half Soya Sauce and half water , brown sugar , all to taste . Not too salty, than thicken with corn starch

9.JPG

Ribs have been 3 hours , now wrap with a little apple juice for 1 hour . Temp now at 300 Deg.
Remove from foil and put on first coat of glaze, one on each piece

10.JPG 11.JPG

So while these are cooking, check my ice gravy ( ha ha ) it is set, now take potato and flatten out enough to wrap around the gravy
form into a nice ball , Roll in flour , milk and bread crumbs with Paprika

12.JPG 13.JPG

14.JPG

Now out to the "Smokers Shed " , spray with Pam to help the bread crumbs to crust. Flip the ribs put on another coat of Glaze.

Put temp up to 325. Deg. , for30 minutes and flip the ribs again and coat again. Pull Ribs let rest in the house. 15 more minutes for the Potatoes
15.JPG 16.JPG
17.JPG

Everything is done , so plate it up Cherry ribs for me and Soya Ribs for Mona , and I did take a small piece of hers . Said it was for Quality Control. Got a weird look. lol

It was all great Maybe bigger cubes of gravy but I was told that it was just enough.
So here is the finished pictures . All plated up with some lettuce, tomato and sliced green pepper. And my bread and Butter pickles

18.JPG 19.JPG DSC_3312.JPG

20.JPG

Thanks for making it to the end

Supper was great , but no Dessert, guess I will just have ice cream. lol

David

Yes sir, David!! That's mighty fine looking right there. I do a similar potato ball except I use a cube of either swiss or cheddar cheese in the middle, then sometimes I deep fry them, bake, or smoke as you did...

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Holy cow that is a great looking plate. And those potatoes intrigue the heck out of me!
Jim

Thanks Jim for the like and the comment

It was a great supper, and the 2 glazes were for sure a do again . As for the potatoes I
have made the potato balls and posted on here before . These were a little bigger because of the gravy inside . But they are fun , crunchy and nice smoke flavor.
The Pam sprayed on the outside helps them get crunch but not hard in the smoker, still like mashed potato inside

David

• Love
Reactions: JLeonard
Yes sir, David!! That's mighty fine looking right there. I do a similar potato ball except I use a cube of either swiss or cheddar cheese in the middle, then sometimes I deep fry them, bake, or smoke as you did...

Thanks for the wow and the comment

Yes I have also done these before ( and posted here ) but not with the gravy, I saw it some where and they were deep frying them . So I thought why not in the smoker. Spray a little Pam on the outside of the bread crumbs and nice and light crunch, and onions and parsley for some extra flavor.
They were good, thanks

David

Insane! Big LIKE on that effort and outcome! Everything looks amazing and I have never seen those gravy Bomb potatoes, I’m definitely using that. Thank you for sharing!

Insane! Big LIKE on that effort and outcome! Everything looks amazing and I have never seen those gravy Bomb potatoes, I’m definitely using that. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks JW for the like and the comment

I have also done these before ( and posted here ) but not with the gravy, I saw it some where and they were deep frying them . So I thought why not in the smoker. Spray a little Pam on the outside of the bread crumbs and nice and light crunch, and onions and parsley for some extra flavor.

Glad you liked it , fun to do and Mona liked them also, even though not happy with gravy in her ice cube tray, lol

You should give them a whirl 🌪

David

Reactions: bauchjw
Glad you liked it , fun to do and Mona liked them also, even though not happy with gravy in her ice cube tray, lol

You should give them a whirl 🌪

David

I’ve seen something like that, but with cheese. There is so many ideas here I start loosing track! I definitely will give them a go…maybe buy my own tray for them first!

• Haha
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky