Getting TBS with sawdust in pellet tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

creativeusernamehere

Original poster
Apr 26, 2019
MN
Looks like I have one last cold snap coming through and have 8 pounds of cheese for my second attempt at a cold smoke. I've been following all the great advice here all week in my prep work! I made a mailbox mod for my MES and turned my apple wood pellets into dust, even ran them through an old blender to further break down. Now my issue is getting that thin blue smoke with the dust, can it be done in a pellet tube? My first two tries were still giving me thick white fluffy stuff. I don't have the amazn basket and wasn't really looking to buy one now, is it necessary for the TBS? Or is there a way to fill/light the pellet tube with the dust? Any advice appreciated, thank you!

Only fill the tube 1/2 - 3/4 full, while on it's side, to get thinner smoke... Maybe.... so it says in fine print..

Thanks Dave, my 2 tries were totally full and about 1/4 full and neither were working! I'll try about half full tonight. I've been lighting with a kitchen torch and then blowing it out after 5 minutes, is it best to blow out or to let the flames go out on their own?

After lighting, I gently blow through a straw to develop a cherry in the dust... Try it... You can literally watch the red glow cherry develop...

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky