Getting Ready to make some Slim-Jims...Any suggestions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hdflame

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 27, 2009
I bought the 15# Kitchener Stuffer from Northern a few years ago and LOVE it.  It didn't come with a small enough stuffing tube, so I've been searching for one.  I saw some links for LEM tubes on the forum but after having very bad luck with LEM ("Quality control and customer service) I swore I'd NEVER buy anything from them again.  See the thread "Is my LEM a Lemon?"  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/177047/is-my-lem-a-lemon

I just ordered this stuffing tube: http://smokehousechef.com/3-8-sausa...ube-for-breakfast-links-use-on-sheep-casings/

I also bought a kit with seasoning and colagen to do 25# of meat.  The kit is made by Leggs.  I've used their Polska Kielbasa and Polish seasoning and it is very good.  I also use their country sausage seasoning and add extra sage and red pepper.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated!

Take your time, and go slow. I also suggest doing it with someone. Having an extra pair of hands never hurt.

Good luck,,, BT 74 gave you some great info,,,, oh and take lots of pics 

A full smoker is a happy smoker 

DS

I have stuffed a lot of sheep casings and small collegen casings with the Kitchner 5 lb model. 

I agree, go slow and have a extra person helping.  The small casings fill quick.

Also make sure the meat has enough water to make the meat flow easy.

yes.. I hear that trying to do sticks with a stuffer of that size can be challenging... so as mentioned above (c farmer).. make sure it's not to dry.. add water if it seems to be to hard to crank the handle ...

Wow that's a skinny tube! What size are the collagen casings? I've been using 16mm collagen through a 1/2" tube just fine, but like others have said, it needs to be wet to flow easily.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky