Getting ready to buy some equipment - Need help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
I am getting ready to take the plunge and get some quality meat processing equipment.

I have done a lot of research based upon my needs and expected use and I have come up with 2 choices.

LEM Big Bite #12 3/4 HP

Cabelas Carnivore #12 3/4 HP

Just curious as to which model you would choose and why.

Thanks,

JC :emoji_cat:

I'd choose the Cabelas grinder. Why? because I have over a grand in Cabelas free shopping and it'd land on my doorstep without costing me a dime. I have a Cabelas commercial grade 1hp grinder for about 16 years now, the things a beast, never had a single problem. RAY

Reactions: JC in GB
I have no experience with either, but Just an FYI, since BPS bought cabelas I am not sure I like their stuff any more. I bought their sealer in January and it wouldn't work very well and returned it. Found they switched from Vac master to some unknown company. Bought a food Vac master from The girl listing them on here and work great. Also bought Cabelas full draw boots and the sole delaminated the first year. I had to JB weld it back on hoping to get my moneys worth. I have never trusted BPS made stuff and now I think their buyers are in charge fo Cabelas products now too. Lots of guys complaining their woolmate fabric is not like it used to be and so on with other products.

I am thinking about upgrading to the STX Turboforce II and looking for people that might have had one. Seems like a 1hp + motor and 1/2 the price of the other 3/4 ones like LEM, Weston or Cabelas.

a friend of mine has the 3/4 cabelas and likes it. I have the 1 hp unit, I bought the larger unit and returned it as it was huge.

Not sure if you have a stuffer yet but that's where you want to invest first. I have a $15 plastic grinder and it works fine unless you are doing large batches often.

My brother processes a few hogs a year so I asked what he uses for a grinder. He said I have the cheap $99 one. I think it’s 400 watt. It does fine for the amount I have done. Only issue is it’s too small to use to stuff directly. Not enough capacity. I also have to cut meat into 1 1/2” chunks or it gets bogged down. The 3/4 hp would be a huge step up from what I have. And be way more than enough

The 99 dollar cabelas heavy duty 400 watt is on sale for 79.97 right now if that is something to consider

I have the cabelas 1 1/2 hp grinder and love it. Had it for several years with no problems. Only thing I would recommend is getting a foot pedal for either one. I didn't but after first use I ordered .
Cabelas has lifetime warranty for normal wear and tear vs. 5 yrs for Lems. Never had to return anything to cabelas so don't know how their customer service is.
Ryan

Not sure if you have a stuffer yet but that's where you want to invest first. I have a $15 plastic grinder and it works fine unless you are doing large batches often.

I was going to get the stuffer along with the grinder. I would love a motorized one but wow, those are pricey!

I am looking at the 11l stuffer....

I like the LEM model as it looks rugged and has all metal gears from what I understand.

Good idea getting opinions from others before you invest. I'm no help as I don't have any of the equipment you are referring to. But good luck with your decision.

Warren

We used the Kitchen Aid attachment for years, grinding and stuffing. We knew we wanted a new grinder but balked last xmass when they were so pricey and we didn't do any research. Towards the end of summer we were in the catalog return center in Springfield and there was a grinder in a box for two hundred bucks. I picked it up and it was heavy so I figured it was good. I knew we had thirty days so what's loose?

Got it home and it was the 3/4 hp carnivore. Was missing the snack stick stuffer but had two extra grinding plates. We could not be happier and have processed at least a hundred pounds of deer and pork butt. It is a beast and grinds anything we drop in it without the motor sounding stressed. Perfect for us as we kill 4 or 5 deer a year. We use it to stuff as well ands it works great. Second the foot pedal...it would be nice but we don't have it yet.

Now this is funny. Since I got the grinder (gonna really try to step up the game) I remembered they had 3 or 4 LEM vertical stuffers...so about two weeks later we go back. No stuffers left but a pile of crossbows so I pick up a Horton Storm with accudraw, originally 800 bucks, tag says 350, minus an extra 25%. I have a 100 gift card so I walk out of there with an original 1200 bow, discontinued to 800, reconditioned for 350, discounted 25%, with a 100 gift card I paid 170 bucks! Soooo glad I went back for that stuffer! It's killed a small button buck and a turkey so far...which most has gone through the grinder. I love the catalog return center. We never go in the big store unless we have company.

I was going to get the stuffer along with the grinder. I would love a motorized one but wow, those are pricey!

I am looking at the 11l stuffer....

I like the LEM model as it looks rugged and has all metal gears from what I understand.
I have the lem 10 pound big bite I think the 11 pound is cabelas offering?

I have the Cabela's 500 watt Pro series # 12 . That's the last in that line Before it steps up to Carnivore . It's a good grinder . If it ever quits I'll be looking at the carnivore series .
The Carnivore is an electric motor with a gear reduction that takes attachments . Comes as a grinder
, but they make a meat tenderizer , jerky slicer , burger patty attachment and others . Hook a meat mixer to it also . You won't go wrong with the Big Bite either .

Hell I just now ordered the 400 watt grinder it is 10 pounds verse the the 64 pounds my 1 hp is. it will work great for 10 pound batches. at 79 bucks I couldn't resist.

Reactions: tallbm and JC in GB
get the foot ped switch no matter which option you choose. it makes life so much easier. and works with any electronic device that plugs in. just turn it on and then use the foot to apply power when needed

I am getting ready to take the plunge and get some quality meat processing equipment.

I have done a lot of research based upon my needs and expected use and I have come up with 2 choices.

LEM Big Bite #12 3/4 HP

Cabelas Carnivore #12 3/4 HP

Just curious as to which model you would choose and why.

Thanks,

I would imagine either one work well. I have not worked with either.
It would be very wise to go into a Cabela's and see the size and weight of their 3/4 HP unit. That may change your mind if it is too big and heavy and hard to store.

You will obviously want a grinder with all metal gears and what are looking at should cover that.

The next thing I would highly recommend researching is whether or not the grinder HEATS up a bunch or not or has a built in fan for the motor.

I never have to freeze my grinder parts or have my meat partially frozen. My meat is usually very very cold but rarely partially frozen. My grinder NEVER heats up to cause the meat to get mushy or half cook the meat. This is HUGE when it comes to grinding.

As for a stuffer ALSO be sure to go look at the size and weight. I have a 10L stuffer and it is big and heavy BUT it allows me to just stuff 20 pound batches. It claims 22-23 pounds but all stuffers are going to fall 1-2 pounds short of their "claimed" stuffing limit.

Get your hands on this stuff because you might not want or be able to pick up, move, clean, and store big 50-75lbs pieces of processing equipment.

Also pick up some meat totes/lugs as well. I would recommend you get 4 if you will be doing any kind of serious meat processing like 6-7+ deer/pigs or bigger animals at a time.

I hope this info helps :)

I would imagine either one work well. I have not worked with either.
It would be very wise to go into a Cabela's and see the size and weight of their 3/4 HP unit. That may change your mind if it is too big and heavy and hard to store.

Thanks for that advice. It is much appreciated. I never thought about the size and weight issue. I think I will take a stroll through Cabelas to see what size this thing is.

I am leaning toward the Hakka 11 lb stuffer and the LEM Big bite #12 grinder.

I still may go with Cabelas as there is a store less than 3 miles from me.

I am not planning on doing huge amounts of meat I just don't want to be dinking around feeding a grinder or stuffer all day. Done that before. Blah.

I want the meat processing part to be done as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can get the sausages in the smoker.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to my first sausage making attempt.

I have decided that I am going with an old world Polish sausage just salt, pepper, garlic and cold smoked with hickory wood.

Thanks for that advice. It is much appreciated. I never thought about the size and weight issue. I think I will take a stroll through Cabelas to see what size this thing is.

I am leaning toward the Hakka 11 lb stuffer and the LEM Big bite #12 grinder.

I still may go with Cabelas as there is a store less than 3 miles from me.

I am not planning on doing huge amounts of meat I just don't want to be dinking around feeding a grinder or stuffer all day. Done that before. Blah.

I want the meat processing part to be done as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can get the sausages in the smoker.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to my first sausage making attempt.

I have decided that I am going with an old world Polish sausage just salt, pepper, garlic and cold smoked with hickory wood.

Yeah I think you have a good plan. Even if you go with the LEM 3/4hp you can get your hands on the Cabelas 3/4hp and know that the LEM will be just as big.

The 11lbs Hakka stuffer may be a little bigger than you expect BUT it should get you close to being able to stuff 10 pound batches at a time which is important if you plan on doing 10 pounds at a time. If you bought a 5 pound stuffer thinking u were doing 10 pound batches you would have to stuff 4lbs and 4lbs, and then 2lbs to get all 10 pounds stuffed. That is not efficient.

Other than that I think you are good to go to get started and I look forward to seeing what sausage you make! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky