Getting it done with salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hunter rose

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 7, 2015
Plano, TX
Made a new salmon rub that came through with lots of flavor... just 2 hours of dry brining and this had tons of flavor and moisture. After the dry brine and rub, cooked at a lower temp for a short time then 250 until IT 135 - 140ish until the white pellicle begins forming. Garlic butter drizzle toward the end of the cook.

Closeup Salmon 3-3-2018.jpg
Salmon 3-3-2018.jpg

I've been eating like this for a year... keto - Salmon, briskets, ribs, etc. at least once a week and have lost 118 pounds. Smoking is great!

Reactions: 73saint
hunter rose, what species of Salmon was that? Looks fantastic. Was the skin left on?

The fish looks absolutely delicious... Are you up for sharing your preparation ???

Absolutely... I dry brined the fish on both sides (skinless) with the my own blended rub for 2 hours. You really don't want any more than 2 hours on the dry brine as the fish will absorb everything very quickly. I cook for about 45 minutes at 190 (pellet smoker). It is at the low temp because my pellet smoker produces the most smoke at that temp. Another 45 minutes or so at 250 or until it hits IT of 135 - 140ish... or until the white pellicle begins to form on the fish. Thinner fish cuts will be more difficult to probe, but the white pellicle consistent. The last 15 minutes of the cook I drizzled a garlic butter over the top. The granulated garlic is what you see in the photos, the small white dots. I served both carnivores and vegetarians that eat fish... all raved about the meal. Thank you for asking.

Great looking salmon, And congrats on the carousel ride as well as the tremendous weight loss. Good for you, Any chance on sharing your rub blend. Salmon is a popular fish for us that we never eat enough of.

Reactions: hunter rose
Great looking salmon, And congrats on the carousel ride as well as the tremendous weight loss. Good for you, Any chance on sharing your rub blend. Salmon is a popular fish for us that we never eat enough of.

I can't share the rub as of yet because we are in the process of setting up rub/sauces business with a co-packer. A salmon rub will be part of the lineup. I can tell you it is sweet and salty, but has some savory spices as well and a hint of paprika for color. Stay tuned.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky