Getting back up to temp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tomhusker

Original poster
Jul 16, 2018
I've searched this subject, but probably wasn't wording it right and got no hits.

I have had my Smoke Hollow 44" propane smoker for over a year now and enjoy using it.
I do seem to always stress over it right after I put meat on for the smoke. Naturally, the temperature is going to drop since 1) I had the door open. And 2) I just added cold meat.
What gets me all nervous is the time it takes to get back up to temperature. I almost can't keep myself from running out and adjusting knobs and ventilation after 15 minutes. Which, of course, means that eventually I have to readjust it all because it ends up running too hot.
So, to put my mind at ease, can someone please tell me what is an acceptable wait time on getting the smoker back up to temp is before I need to start panicking?

I have two temperature probes for monitoring internal temperatures. One is on the top rack, one is on the middle rack.

Reactions: JC in GB
That's going to be dependent on a number of tings. How well the smoker is insulated, how much cold meat went in, the ambient air temp, the actual temp of the meat, etc...I have a big custom made smoker that I converted to run on propane. It's heavy gauge steel and holds temp VERY well but if I put on a brisket and a butt, it can easily take an hour or more to come back up to temp. You're going to get cold radiating from the meat which will be picked up by your temp probes possibly giving a reading that's not entirely accurate. Typically I'll run the fire up to get the temp back up quicker and then know that I'll have to make a couple of adjustments as the external temp of the meat rises. To me, that's part of temp control and "manning the pit" so to speak. It doesn't bother me a bit to make the adjustments knowing that there are very few true "set it and forget it" smokers out there. Fret not though, your meat won't spoil and it will come back up in temp. Go get a beer, sit back and relax, and just enjoy the aromas coming from the smoker for a longer period if time :emoji_wink: That's half the fun.

Probably not much help,
Robert

I use to do the same thing ,my pellet smoker also drops and slowly climbs back up if I leave it alone,you can get over heated chasing temps without any gain. if you have time let it self regulate if not pull up a stump to watch the temp gauges.

Reactions: Tomhusker
I use to do the same thing ,my pellet smoker also drops and slowly climbs back up if I leave it alone,you can get over heated chasing temps without any gain. if you have time let it self regulate if not pull up a stump to watch the temp gauges.
Thanks. If there is one thing I have plenty of, it's time.

It certainly is dependent on each cooker , insulation etc. One thing you can try is to overshoot initial temp by 25F - 50F. Load it up and then turn it down to the temp you want. Some people like to do this some don’t.

Reactions: JC in GB and siege
Good answers, especially the suggestion to get one or more Beers. I like a cooler by the smoker. Anywho, look at the Forest from the Trees! Does an Hour or 2 of recovery really mean anything over a 16 or 20 hour Butt cook?...JJ

I have used my smoker enough that I know my vent settings at a given chamber temp, + or - 5F. When firing up my smoker I've stopped focusing on chamber temp and started focusing on clean blue smoke. I'll underset my vents while the chamber, charcoal, and wood is warming up. It can take up to 2 hours for the smoke to get clean, and my chamber temp is usually low, like 190F to 200F. When the smoke is clean, I load the meat and open my vents to the 225, 250, or 275F chamber temp desired. It can take another 2 hours for the chamber temp to stabilize due to the cold meat and increased airflow. If another small adjustment is necessary after two hours, I make it. Bottom line, I've stopped chasing temps and all worry has gone away.

You also don't have to worry about 4 hour rule because cold meat in a 190-200F chamber, with an airflow to take it to 225F or hotter, will easily reach 140F WELL before 4 hours. Cold meat absorbs a LOT of available heat. As the meat heats toward the stall, the chamber temp will rise and stabilize with the airflow from the proper vent settings.

No where did I read about this process. I understand the science behind heat absorption by the meat, and figured out a way to stop chasing chamber temps.

I have read Noboundries comment and many others with way more experienced than me say the same thing about not chasing temps. I took it to heart and things go a lot easier. I know my smoker and you seem to know yours. When its expected it's no longer a surprise so no need to jump and panic. Adjust, beer, watch, ponder, beer, snacks then maybe a small adjustment then repeat.

Hi Tom,

I smoke with a masterbuilt single door propane smoker. Do you use a water pan?

Water or better yet, using sand in place of the water really does help with temperature swings while opening the door. The extra thermal mass acts as a heat sink and helps the smoker recover faster.
I stopped using the water pan after a few smokes. So many different opinions on their worth. I do have a few fire bricks in the bottom to help as a heat sink. After reading these replies, I think I'm just worrying unnecessarily over it.

Adjust, beer, watch, ponder, beer, snacks then maybe a small adjustment then repeat.

This is good advice from the sage, but he left out one important aspect: beer. Nothing more important than having enough beer while watching TBS and enjoying the aroma emanating from the smoker....as it's coming back up to temp. The aroma will tell you that you're headed in the right direction. Beer + TBS + aroma + patience = ecstasy (not the illegal kind). I learned that geometric equation in high school geometry and it's stuck with me for a few hundred years.

Yep....that's my story and I'm sticking to it,
Robert

I usually preheat about 30 degrees over my target temperature. Get the work done, trimming, rubbing, and all your prep , leave the meat out on the counter while your smoker is coming up to temp. Once you put the meat in the smoker, set the temperature back down to where you want it, and relax with the beverage and snack of your choice. Check the probes once in a while and let the magic happen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky