G'day from Downunder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

laszlo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Jervis Bay, Australia
 G'day to all from Australia.
icon_smile.gif

Been lurking around here for quite a while, mostly around smokers. I'm of Central European heritage, with quarter of German blood in me. My grandfather used to be a butcher and as a kid used to help him around with meet preparation, although by far the most loved activity was to hang around his smokehouse full of homemade sausages  and speck slabs. Oh boy, the taste of freshly smoked sliced piece of hungarian style (Csabai) sausage!

Just turned big five-o this year, living in Oz for two decades, but these childhood memories of smoked delicatessen are still hauntin' hard.

I've done fair bit of hot smoking and some grilling, so far all done with Weber kettle using charcoal. I have to shamefully admit that I don't own a gas or electric BBQ grill, which in here every selfrespecting household has at least one - having "barbie" with snags (sausages) and lamb chops + sipping beer seems to be a national sport round here. Nothing wrong with that at all, my only "beef" is these sausages taste like crap to me and I don't particulary dig lamb meat in general. Beef steak is fine thing, but for me pork is the king.

Cold smoking has been out of question for me so far (it is hard to keep smoke temp at 22 Celsius when outdoor temp is for most of the year at least 10 deg higher). But lucky me, I've just discovered this great gadget Amazen smoker (thanks Todd), got few bags of hickory dust and life is cool again.
icon_cool.gif

With help of this gadget, I will soon achieve my dream of making my own sausages and speck which will (hopefully) taste as good as my grandad's.

Cheers to all, and a little teaser of my last cold smoke effort:

4b7ac703_DSC01040.jpg

Lad

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Lad to SMF. Well I'm glad that you have the A-mazing smoker thingie. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now I would like you to share the recipe with us for some of your old sausages if you don't mind. I really enjoy making new sausages. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

GO GATORS  

It's good to see that you are up and smoking again.I can't wait to see some of your smokes from down under!..as long as it not kangaroo!

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

It's good to see that you are up and smoking again.I can't wait to see some of your smokes from down under!..as long as it not kangaroo!
I've heard that  Roo is pretty good. 

Welcome.. I too have been a "lurker" for a while, and finally after building my very own UDS joined up... Lot's of really nice people here with ton's of ideas... Just post a question and you will get a ton  of answers back...

Thank you everybody for warm welcome.
beercheer.gif

I have no doubts that this community will be of great help. The site layout is very good, navigation is breeze and generally it is very user friendly.

I'm member on some other forums (some of them rather less civilized, not like SMF) and on all of them pics can be only posted after uploading to Flickr, Imageshack etc.

Thanks again for all welcomes and see yer all around these boards.

Cheers,

Lad

Welcome to SMF - glad to have you here with us for sure

Oh, forgot to answer couple of questions.

Luckily, mother nature spared our state from floods (this time). Before Christmas state of Victoria on the south was hit by bad flood, after Christmas Queensland up north got devastated. It may not look big on the map of Australia, but flooded area in QLD was bigger than area of France and Germany combined. It was carnage, people lost lives, damage is horrendous.

As for kangaroos - I'm not too crazy about their meat, sort of like cross between veal and deer with bit of male goat thrown into mix. It really depends how it is prepared and cooked. Roo meat can be bought in supermarkets, but it is not priced very keenly, for the roo tail steak, I'll take prime scotch fillet for the same money.

And once I take a bike ride, roos become my mortal enemy. They are stupid - instead of running away, they tend to jump straight in front of car or bike - depending on speed and size of the Skippy, it is always bad news.
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
And they are everywhere, big gangs, never mind what greenies are saying.

Cheers,

Lad

G'day mate. Welcome to SMF from the BBQ capital of the world, Kansas City!!! Hoping you can share some of your sausage recipies with us. There a good number of sausage heads around here!

And were always ready to try something new. Can you explain a few things though, like Scotch filet? or Specks? Probably something we have here, just call it something else.

Cheers Lad! 

Welcome, looks your efforts are already a success!  I'm sure your Grandad would already be impressed.

Please continue to let us look over your shoulder by sending more photos.  We love the photos.  Enjoy, and take advantage of all the resources available.  GOOD LUCK!

Welcome to SMF glad you can join us.  We are big on Pics and love to help everyone out.  Remember the only question that is dumb is one not asked.  You will not find a friendlier place to talk Que on the web.

You are going to fit in just fine.

Man that looks great!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky