Gasket for kettle: worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

voltronic

Original poster
Sep 6, 2020
I will soon be purchasing my first Weber kettle, a 22" Master Touch. I'm new to charcoal, and this cooker will be used mostly for short grilling sessions but occasional smoking as well. I know that even without the gasket, the kettle will be a major upgrade from my gas grill.

I am wondering if the lid gaskets such as the one linked below are going to be beneficial for what I'm doing. I have heard that the lids on these leak a bit when smoking, but I'm not sure how big a deal that is. My gas grill leaks like crazy (by design) and I've had some successful smoking with it.

Other concerns are longevity of the gasket and interfering with regular cleaning / degreasing the lid.

Fire Black high-temp BBQ gasket

Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: JLeonard
I put a gasket on my Weber kettle and it still has leaks. I would not do it again.

Rob

Sorry you didn't get your money's worth, but thanks for sharing your experience.

I also saw a guy in YouTube who put a thick bead of silicone on the lid rim, Vaseline on the kettle rim, and let it sit for a day to make a "custom" fit. I am NOT doing that, but it was a cool idea.

Nope, that kettle will do great without it. Congratulations on choosing a great charcoal grill.

Reactions: voltronic
Ok, 3 "no" answers in short order is all I need to hear. Deleted from my shopping list.

Thanks, everyone!

Reactions: chopsaw
What everyone else said above. If you’re really worried about leaks when smoking, a few binder clips holding the lid down will do the trick.

Love my Kettle, the more you use it the better it will "seal". But it will still leak some.
Jim

After years of use .
lid.jpg

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky