gas change issues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kulok

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Bridge City Tx.
how do yall feel about hooking up natural gas from the house up to all points on a chargriller duo.also a burner for the sfb .does nat gas burn ok. or is propane the only way.

see i have a spare hook up from an old dryer not in use. and a threaded pipe guy living behind me who will work for que.

Sounds as if it would be ok, but you might have to change the size of the holes in the burner(s). Are you planning on using propane burners to begin with?

Check with your local BBQ store - there is a change in the orafice size that is required on a BBQ and it may be the same for a smoker and they might have it

i dont follow ,i would have to change out my stock burners in my gas side. and is it a flow issue propane burners vs/ nat gas burner hole size.yikes i might just stick to propane and get a bigger bottle.or duel it out with a wye

It is not the holes in the burner, it is the hole in the orifice that counts. The two different gasses have totally different qualities, (BTU's). There is usualy a brass orifice that regulates the flow of gas into the venturi tubes (the tube that leads to the burner). You usually can remove the orifice and drill it out bigger to convert from LPG (propane) to NG. The local gas store can determine what diameter the orifice needs to be drilled out to by measuring the existing hole. They drill it out to achieve the same BTU's.for the new fuel type (natural gas). There will also be no need for a regulator, so it will need to be eliminated, your natural gas service is regulated at your meter.  Make sure you have the natural gas regulator info when going to have your orifices drilled, it will be regulated from x PSI to x inches of water column. A different type of supply hose from the outlet to the burner manifold will also be needed.

Personally I would stick with Propane.  Just get you several extra tanks to have on hand and you should never have a problem.  If you watch Craig's List you can always find extra tanks CHEAP.

Only problem I ever have with Propane is it seems like every time I turn around they make another change on the tank valves. Then this tank is no good, we won't fill that, or that date is old, we can't fill that tank. So I get new tanks. Then a couple years later, "This tank needs a different valve, we aren't allowed to fill that tank". Oh no, here we go again!

thanks guys but i think you have scared me into sticking with propane....i think im just going to up my propane setup adding extra tanks and running a sfb burner with it too.......

icon_cool.gif

Well that question has come up in my re-working all the appliances in our house one day. I want to have a gas stove and that way I can hook up all my grills and smokers too. I think that you can run either or types of gas you just have to have the correct orifice for all the equipment. So it's not that hard to do. I think that all you have to do is un-screw this and screw in that. Just make sure that you do the soapy water test for leaks. 

icon_cool.gif

Well that question has come up in my re-working all the appliances in our house one day. I want to have a gas stove and that way I can hook up all my grills and smokers too. I think that you can run either or types of gas you just have to have the correct orifice for all the equipment. So it's not that hard to do. I think that all you have to do is un-screw this and screw in that. Just make sure that you do the soapy water test for leaks. 
The orafice isn't under pressure so a leak test on that isn't necessary. Going from LPG to NG the orifice can be drilled. Then just remove the supply hose (and regulator, very important) and install the new NG supply hose. It is pretty easy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky