Game Hens and Tatoes on the Drum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cowgirl

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 2, 2007
Oklahoma
I smoked these on my drum....

I slathered the game hens in butter and sprinkled with Rooster Booser...

Sliced some potatoes, filled with bacon, drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with cracked black pepper and kosher salt..
got this idea from smoking friend Chris in Austria.. Barbecue Squad: Beilagen

into the smoker at 300..

I liked the sliced tatoes... the bacon adds a nice flavor.

the hens were nice and moist...

Thanks for looking!

OMG---That stuff looks & sounds Awesome!

I was just going to shut down here, so I almost missed this!

Real nice Jeanie,

Bear

Man them birds look great and the tatters that's a must do on my next smoke.. great job thanks for sharing
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thank you Tyotrain and Red Neck!! :)

I like the sound of the taters.  You put them in at 300, how long it take to finish?
Thanks Gary, they took close to 2 hrs.. probably 1 hr and 45 min.  You can definately do them at a higher temperature.  I just check for tenderness in the tatoes. 

Good luck with them! :)

Looks great Jeanie!  I can't tell if you sliced down all the way through the taters or if you just cut out smale pieces to put the bacon into.  Looks wonderful and I will definitely be trying these!!!

Thank you Les!

Looks great Jeanie!  I can't tell if you sliced down all the way through the taters or if you just cut out smale pieces to put the bacon into.  Looks wonderful and I will definitely be trying these!!!
Shell my friend Chris' pictures are a bit better than mine on the slicing...  nothing is cut out...the potatoes are just sliced almost to the bottom.  You spread them a bit to insert the sliced bacon. Hope this helps! Thanks Shell!!

IMG_3577.jpg

Thank you Meat, Rob, Rd and Werd!!

Jeanie, that looks delicious, I  sure would love to try your cooking. ------
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

John

Shoot John, I'd love to try your cooking!!  Your recipes and posts are amazing.  Thanks!

Thanks Todd, Ross and Brian! :)

Oh Jeanie

like I said on your blog - WOW

Coffee is on its way

Thank you Les!

Shell my friend Chris' pictures are a bit better than mine on the slicing...  nothing is cut out...the potatoes are just sliced almost to the bottom.  You spread them a bit to insert the sliced bacon. Hope this helps! Thanks Shell!!

IMG_3577.jpg

Thank you Meat, Rob, Rd and Werd!!

Shoot John, I'd love to try your cooking!!  Your recipes and posts are amazing.  Thanks!

Thanks Todd, Ross and Brian! :)

From the pics I'm now thinking BB or CB, that throws a spin on the tater.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky