Game Day Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nefarious

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2021
Seattle WA
I guess I march to a different drummer when it comes to sports then most, game day for me in is this thursday when the seattle sounders open for the CCL quest. I can't get my smoker going by then so my grill is my only choice.

I am doing baby back ribs and my usual practice is to cut them into 2 bone pieces and grill them as slow as.possible. This method give me more surface area for sauce for those that want it, and makes it easier to serve.

This time I am going to try to smoke them in my grill with a smoke tube so, in my mind at least, this gives more surface area for smoke to collect.

Is there any reason this is a bad practice?

I've done 3 - 4 bone sections on a gasser many many times with very good results. Baby Backs don't need as much time to break down as spares. As an fyi, many places do hot and fast ribs BB and Spares with great success!

I have also smoked them the same, ie portion size, it also works. I haven't done just 2 bone. There is a Local BBQ/Smoke house place that smokes stars in 3rd slab 1/2 slab and full slabs they do it that way for serving as well.

Reactions: Nefarious
I've done 3 - 4 bone sections on a gasser many many times with very good results. Baby Backs don't need as much time to break down as spares.
What is the recommended target IT for baby backs then. I usually pull around 180 on the grill or they are too dried out. There isn't a water pan to keep the area humid

Also, any reference to a low sodium rub would be useful that I can try. I usually only use sPG, and anyone who wants more can use their favorite sauce. I could do half with a different rub to give more options.

What is the recommended target IT for baby backs then. I usually pull around 180 on the grill or they are too dried out. There isn't a water pan to keep the area humid
I usually go with 195 IT. Not FOTB but tender with a good bite

I go till they start to "split' when bent or pulled. Most of the BB's these days have a very large portion of loin left on them toward the narrow end. If you trim that off you can go to the 195ish for the full rack, otherwise 180ish for the portion of ribs with the loin is better. If you leave the loin section on then the loin section is thicker and won't cook as fast so you will get them at different IT's which is ok.

As an fyi when I do rack of pork I cook it to IT of 145 and the rib portion of the slice is absolutely my most favorite pork rib!
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/rack-of-pork-w-apple-pear-cranberry-chutney.293877/

Reactions: Nefarious
I go till they start to "split' when bent or pulled. Most of the BB's these days have a very large portion of loin left on them toward the narrow end. If you trim that off you can go to the 195ish for the full rack, otherwise 180ish for the portion of ribs with the loin is better.
I buy the 3 pack from Costco and use all three thin ends. I cut from the thin side toward the thick side so they all come off at the same time. To be honest, I never thought of cutting the thick meat off. I just cook the thick parts at the same time so they are done at the same time. Sometimes only 2 of the 3 have the thick end

Reactions: civilsmoker
I buy the 3 pack from Costco and use all three thin ends. I cut from the thin side toward the thick side so they all come off at the same time. To be honest, I never thought of cutting the thick meat off. I just cook the thick parts at the same time so they are done at the same time. Sometimes only 2 of the 3 have the thick end
Bingo, if you cut off the loin part then you can put that on later and smoke till 145 and then slice in bites & toss with some sauce, yum yum? It is also good chilled then cut in cubes and put over a salad!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky