FYI Gassers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
So on Thanksgiving my Smoke Hollow decided not to work properly. It would only go to 225 on high. Then when I put turkey in it crashed to 195 an took forever to re coop. Thought it might be regulator since its 11 yrs old. Today had time to look at it. Took apart hoses & valve. Found a cobweb in the piece on the back of valve that's on the smoker. I guess it would be called the orifice (spelling??) It wasn't totally clogged but looked like there was a screen in it. Blew it out with air compressor. Put everything back together. Now running at 243 with chicken thighs in it on low. Also found out the valve is 1/2# psi. Good to know. So if having trouble getting temps up u might want to check this out. Thanks for listening!!!

Found a cobweb in the piece on the back of valve that's on the smoker. I guess it would be called the orifice

One of the things I check every spring on my gas grill. Some of those little spiders really like it in the small enclosed space. Glad it was nothing serious.

I just had a problem with my gasser not getting to temp and it turn out to be the new type valve they put on the tank not opening all the way when you connected the smoker to the tank.

Warren

Also found out the valve is 1/2# psi. Good to know.

yeah, people are putting high pressure regulators (over 1 psi) with built-in needle valves onto their smoker and wondering why the needle valve is so twitchy.

Yep, I've had problems with spider webs in the tubes. My solution was to put brass screen in the air inlets. That was a grill, though, not a smoker.

yeah, people are putting high pressure regulators (over 1 psi) with built-in needle valves onto their smoker and wondering why the needle valve is so twitchy.

Yup know what u mean. I bought a Bayou Classic 10 psi to replace my regulator. Luckily I didn’t open package. After I saw the valve said 1/2 psi I returned it. Plus mine was working fine again

Yep, I've had problems with spider webs in the tubes. My solution was to put brass screen in the air inlets. That was a grill, though, not a smoker.

Mine has screens built into but guess not fine enough. In 11 yrs. never had this problem

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky