Frozen butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Ooaaronoo

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 24, 2019
I'm sure this has been covered. I have a twin pack I had frozen it weighs almost 19 lbs. I took it out the freezer mid day tuesday. Is there a way to check if the middle is thawed? I wanted to cook Friday night but will go sat night if need be.

If it is mostly thawed, don't worry about the middle. I've smoked plenty of partially thawed butts, briskets, turkeys, and chickens. It adds a little time, but not much. The thaw finishes in the smoker.

A common misunderstanding is the thawed meat will cook and the frozen meat will remain raw. That might have a bit of truth for really high temp cooks, but not for low n slow cooks. It's all about heat flow, thermodynamics, and equilibrium.

Reactions: JC in GB
Sounds good.. it will be a solid 3 days in the friday. So I may just give it a go tomorrow night.

There is always a couple of hours in a stock pot under barely running water...JJ
This how I thaw almost everything, I seal it with the foodsaver then place it in a plastic tub weigh it down with a dinner plate and turn the water on to a cold trickle for a few hours.

Reactions: JC in GB
I've used the defrost setting on the microwave to help thaw 7-8 lb butts with good results.

can i smoke a frozen butt? was thinking of putting it into the MES at 225 till i could get a probe into center and then add smoke and prepare normally from there. anyone with experience here? should i or it be the guinea pig?

precursor: dry rubbed a butt a week ago, found out the party didn't need any more food. froze it. thawing now but.....

can i smoke a frozen butt?

Sure. I read once that a frozen turkey only takes twice as long as a thawed one. I don't think that same rule would apply to a butt, but it might add 6 to 8 hours to the smoke.

Water conducts heat 25 times faster than air. Throw that baby in a sink with gently running cold water and thaw it in a few hours instead of the smoker.

I've put a pork butt in the smoker after it's been out of the freezer for 12 hours or so. It added some cook time, but still came out fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky