From Battery Charger to Amazin Smoker (wanna be - w/V)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Northern Michigan
Well after all I read about how good Todds AMS is, I figured I needed one.  But !  Being all backwoods (aka Cheap) I decided I could build something that worked on the same principle as the AMS. I took a stroll around the old homestead and low and behold in the scrap pile was an old battery charger made out of similar metal as the AMS and it was held together with screws. (Disclaimer; Todd, This is a "one off"- No Sales- LoL)

cb33433c_12071012111.jpg

I used the top and the back and side - the side and back were one piece. The size of this worked out to 6 1/4" by 11 3/4" the run ways are 2" H x 2 " W.  This cut easy with a handheld cutoff wheel, it is quite heavy Gage metal.   

2042827a_downsize1_0001.jpg

I put it together with screws with the intent of welding after I dig out my sandblaster (a lot of work) or I may throw it in my fireplace to burn the paint off.
08c87313_12071013321.jpg

The next thing was to fill it and light it, it lit well without the big hole in the end.
7331de20_downsize_21.jpg

Full of Beech dust.
51efa8a4_downsize1.jpg

Lovely THIN BLUE SMOKE !!
5e1efdb4_12071016071.jpg

It didn't jump over the divider - I rate it as a success. (the wind blew the ashes out, if your wondering why it's empty at the start) To Todd, I will definitely recommend your product as I feel I have experienced the principle behind the AMS and IT WORKS GREAT !!  Now to clean it up and Smoke Something....

Watch out Todd! Looks like you have some competition! Way to go backwoods smoker for being all innovative!

I bow to your resourcefulness!!!

What's the vintage of that old "Clark-A-Matic"??

"Farmer Engineering" at it's finest!!

Todd

Hope you saved the handle, looks like it would fit just fine on my refrigerator.  That has to be the oldest battery charger I have ever seen.  Give it a good cleaning and sand blasting, hope that wasn't lead paint the used  back 30 years ago.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats old school for sure there Backwoods. It a nice smoker thingy thou.

Nice job Backwoods - looks like you nailed it - looks just like one of Todds

sweet!!! I was too lazy and bought mine from Todd.....and I just got done cold smoking bacon , I love this smoke generator

Don't know the age of the old charger, was one I used to charge a electric cart I drive around (36 volt). I put solar panels in series on the cart cause it quit charging. The carts now a FREE ride, just park it in the sun.  The coating on it was like a powder coat, had to blast it.  Used it today for my 1st FATTY.  It worked like a charm, Thanks Todd for the inspiration,

4d89594f_downsize1.jpg
4e80b303_12081017541.jpg
f35c0051_12081016561.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky