From backyard to Business

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks for your replies in this thread. It is something that I am interested in because I want to become an entrepreneur.
I am an entrepreneur. It is a very different mindset. If you are not 100% all in, forget it.
quick tips:
Learn to push yourself daily outside of your comfort zone.
Learn how to sell.
Be willing to work for free for the success of your business.
Treat the lowest person the same way as the most important person in the business. If you don't, you will lose your best employees.
Systems make a business successful....look at McDonald's. Not the best hamburger in the world, but they have some of the best systems in the business world.
Understand finance...You will need to be creative at some point in your business when money looks tight.
Become 'unemployable'....meaning you have no price which someone could pay you for your time.
Money is not 'wealth'. If you are doing it for the money, don't even start. Time is more valuable than money.
Don't forsake the family and friends that helped you and sacrificed for you to become successful. If you do-you will regret it one day....

I am an entrepreneur. It is a very different mindset. If you are not 100% all in, forget it.
quick tips:
Learn how to sell.
Treat the lowest person the same way as the most important person in the business. If you don't, you will lose your best employees.
Systems make a business successful....look at McDonald's. Not the best hamburger in the world, but they have some of the best systems in the business world.
Understand finance...You will need to be creative at some point in your business when money looks tight.
Become 'unemployable'....meaning you have no price which someone could pay you for your time.
Money is not 'wealth'. If you are doing it for the money, don't even start. Time is more valuable than money.
Don't forsake the family and friends that helped you and sacrificed for you to become successful. If you do-you will regret it one day....

Keith , very well said.
Every bit of this is very true. And all who want to start and or keep
a business going should follow these words

David

I'm retired now and still doing some cooking on the side. I used to do a lot more but Covid cancelled a lot of parties. I'm not a licensed caterer. I do private parties only and do not sell to the general public. I have cooked for weddings, groomsmen's dinners, grad parties, bachelor parties and yes even some bachelorette parties but all friends or friends of friends. The most I've cooked for was probably 300 people.
Just kind of a nitch I found and I can pick and choose when I want and don't want to do it.

Given the current economy I would say it's a fools errand to try to open a food business right now. First thing people are cutting back on is going out to eat and from things I'm reading the economy is going to get worse before better. The real cost of food inflation is still a year or so out and the shortages coming are going to shock a lot of people. I'm not a prepper but I advise everyone to keep their freezers and pantry's stocked as much as possible right now and the extended future. Trying to add a profit margin on top of the cost of food at wholesale prices is putting a lot of long established businesses on the ropes right now.

Are you catering out of a store front or going to locations and cooking there? I always went to location. I had two very nice trailer rigs that I would cook on but am now down to one. People eat with their eyes. This is cliche but very true. I made a point of buying built for purpose trailer rigs. Not some rusty old converted propane or fuel oil tank. A guy once told me I could serve dog poop off my smokers and people would love it! I got a kick out of that. My smokers were wood fired. Another thing that added to the uniqueness of it. If you show up to a event with a couple Weber kettles and a pellet grill you're not going to impress anyone. I've had both gushing positive compliments and negative comments from people. You can't please all the people all the time right? Take both with a grain of salt.

I wish you luck if you enter into this venture at this point as I think you will need a lot of it.

Reactions: indaswamp
Hello! Whether it's still enjoyable to run a BBQ business, it can depend on the individual approach. For some, the satisfaction can outweigh the added stress. However, for others, the demands of running a business can take the joy out of cooking. If you're considering starting a catering business, do your research. Make a solid business plan, and be prepared for the hard work. Besides, be realistic about the costs and challenges involved. Weigh the pros and cons carefully and be prepared for the challenges ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's start from the simplest.
To make money, you have to provide services. To provide services, you need customers. To find clients, you need to grab attention.
Nowadays it is quite easy to do this through online communities. Help people who face problems related to graphic design and answer their questions on social networks, in forums, and even create a website and write articles about topics interesting to your potential clients. Do anything to grab their attention and use all the possible channels.
Another great tip is to find out where your competitors are getting customers from.
This is in general terms, but you can also find other tips by reading this full article about starting an online business.

Last edited:
I know I'm a bit late to the party (two years, to be exact), but I just stumbled upon your post. I hope your BBQ journey has been smokin' so far! If you did take the leap into the catering business, I hope it's been rewarding. Remember, even if it's been a while, it's never too late to boost your online presence. I recently discovered the best local SEO service that might be of help, especially if you're looking to attract more local BBQ enthusiasts.
I'm genuinely curious, did you find that turning your BBQ passion into a career changed your perspective on it? Would love to hear an update on how things have been for you over the past couple of years.

Last edited:
quick tips:
Learn how to sell.
Money is not 'wealth'. If you are doing it for the money, don't even start. Time is more valuable than money here is routes for sale bizroutes.com.
Hello, I am looking at the viability of a catering business I am hoping to set up within a golf club which my uncle is the managing director of. The golf club is struggling to operate the kitchen and is closing it this year. They are looking for someone to take over the kitchen and provide food to the members but they do not want to be responsible for the day-to-day operations or financial obligations. As he is family my uncle has offered me the kitchen on the basis that I pay for the utilities I use. The kitchen already has all the equipment I would need, so it would just be a case of buying food and cooking it for the customers. I have no experience in catering and was hoping for some advice from people on the forum. I would be serving hot and cold rolls, toasties, baguettes, chips - that sort of thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky