Fried mashed potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davidhef88

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 24, 2011
Rochester, NY
What to do with a tub of left-over mashed taters?

5da0a526_1006.jpg

chop some  pickled japs and shred some pepperjack.

96f3804d_1008.jpg

mix the taters

95960aec_1005.jpg

get some seasoned flour  ( cayenne, paprika, s&p, chili powder,  which is also my flour recipe for anything I fry)  egg, and panko bread crumbs ready.

5ddfdd33_1007.jpg

I found it easiest to form the balls in the flour then into the egg then into the crumbs then into a nice hot oil bath.

aefc9eb7_1004.jpg

260f3484_1003.jpg

fd897e7c_1001.jpg

These things came out delicious!!!  you could put anything you want in them.  Next time they will definatly have bacon in them.

Great recipe! We do potato pancakes all the time. We will try your recipe next time! Thank-you!

ate them like candy all afternoon.  next time will be some smoked cheese and bacon in them.

i make my potatoe pancakes w/ instant potatoes. But they have to sit overnight in the fridge before adding eggs , milk and flour or they won't work.

Last edited:
Top those off with some smoked salt and some fresh Parmesan cheese too. Love potato pancakes in any form

Love potato cakes. the problem is there are never any leftover mashed potatos at my house.
That's the exact same problem I have! LOL

My two girls will "snack" on my left over mashed potatos and gravy, after school. Then I come home and think "Hey! I have left over mashed potatos and gravy, I'll make a shepards pie for dinner"...... NOT!
nonono2.gif

I make a simpler version of these all the time (including this morning) with leftover instant taters.  I like the breading idea as well as the additional ingredients.  We usually just add some chopped, grilled onions...

Great post!  Somehow we gotta get some smoke on these (other than the smoked bacon & cheese!!)  Hmmmmm......
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif

I make a simpler version of these all the time (including this morning) with leftover instant taters.  I like the breading idea as well as the additional ingredients.  We usually just add some chopped, grilled onions...

Great post!  Somehow we gotta get some smoke on these (other than the smoked bacon & cheese!!)  Hmmmmm......
th_wsmsmile0ly.gif
Cold smoke your flour and bread crumbs ,  next.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky