Fridge Build Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

glendonboy

Original poster
Oct 8, 2008

Picked up this beauty and have started my build. Ultimately I want to make it a gravity fed smoker. For the short term I was thinking of using a 22.5 inch weber kettle grill as a fire box and have a PID and fan system to maintain temp. My question now is what type of tubing would you use to connect the weber to the fridge? Is auto exhaust tube and flex tube safe? Thanks!

Any non-galvanized piping rated for higher temps will work.

Not sure how well you'll do temp wise in the fridge if your only going to be piping the heat in. Probably be fine for temps below 200.

Thanks! Was worried about the temp thing. My original temporary plan was to put a charcoal basket inside. The cooking area in total is 36 X 14 X 25 inches. Was worried about after a basket and water pan, there was not much room for cooking.

Changed direction. Now going to make it a gravity fed smoker. Down to just some angle iron left to get. Will post up when time permits getting the welding started. 

Well I bought all I needed to do the gravity fed idea, but had trouble getting my buddy to do the welding. Hopefully I will jump back in soon. The wife is on me to finish. My work spot in the driveway is in the sun after work. It has cooked off now and I have lowered my expectations a little and simplified. Back soon. Thx!

Have you considered a pellet hopper assembly for it? I'm in the process of converting my old gas powered cabinet smoker to a pellet smoker. It is a bit spendy ($425), but I love the thought of the temp control it provides and not having to add any chips. I also already have a pellet grill and buy pellets by the pallet.

Have you considered a pellet hopper assembly for it? I'm in the process of converting my old gas powered cabinet smoker to a pellet smoker. It is a bit spendy ($425), but I love the thought of the temp control it provides and not having to add any chips. I also already have a pellet grill and buy pellets by the pallet.
I did! Along with electric and gas. In the long run the easier way to go I am sure. I have a PID with fan and am going to use a charcoal basket for a drum. I am sure I have spent what a pellet burner would have cost already. My older pooch died and just got a new pup to train for hunt tests. Smoker on the back burner again for a little while.

Reactions: lwestby
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky