FreshGround

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FreshGround

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
I picked this screen name because I am a complete newby when it comes to smoking, and an almost complete newby when it comes to sausages and salumi, which are my main interest. I hope to learn a lot here. I won't have much to offer beyond naive newby questions, so be gentle.

I picked this screen name because I am a complete newby when it comes to smoking, and an almost complete newby when it comes to sausages and salumi, which are my main interest. I hope to learn a lot here. I won't have much to offer beyond naive newby questions, so be gentle.
Welcome from Colorado.
No worries, nothing but velvet gloves around here.

Welcome from Kentucky. There are quite a few members in this forum who can answer any questions in your area of interest you might have.

Welcome from Colorado.
No worries, nothing but velvet gloves around here.

Thanks. I'm in AZ now but my wife and I retired to CO and lived 5 years in Greeley and one year in Denver before moving here a year ago. I liked CO, especially Greeley, but we had to follow the sole grandkid, LOL.

If you want to start into making sausages-best to start with fresh sausages, either cased or not. Then once you have mastered all the steps with that, and you are getting great texture in your sausages, next step is smoked sausages. You will learn about nitrite curing, learn low and step smoking from 120*F to 170*F so the sausages do not have fat out. You will learn how to stuff into casing properly.
The next jump would be curing whole muscles like Lonzino, coppa pancetta, etc....
You will learn how to dial your drying chamber in, learn what to look for on the piece so it is drying properly without case hardening. Next, you will learn the advanced charcuterie of salami making. Each step in the progression builds on the one before so everything you have done up to this point will prepare you for making salami. It is a steep learning curve, but do not let that intimidate you. We have all had failures on the road to advanced Dry curing. Hell-I burnt to a crisp the first smoke sausages I ever made...I learned about proper fire management that day! LOL!

Two books-
Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages

and
The Art of Making Fermented Sausages

BEST $40 bucks you will spend to learn this craft.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Welcome from Mississippi. We were ALL newbies at onetime. Look forward to your post and questions.
Jim

You had to do every single thing in your life for the first time!We're all new to something many times over!
If you ever in your life quit learning new things, you're either severely close minded, or in a coma.

Welcome from Ohio! Many here will help you but trust me when I say follow indaswamp indaswamp immediately.

Reactions: Fueling Around
If you want to start into making sausages-best to start with fresh sausages, either cased or not. Then once you have mastered all the steps with that, and you are getting great texture in your sausages, next step is smoked sausages. You will learn about nitrite curing, learn low and step smoking from 120*F to 170*F so the sausages do not have fat out. You will learn how to stuff into casing properly.
The next jump would be curing whole muscles like Lonzino, coppa pancetta, etc....
You will learn how to dial your drying chamber in, learn what to look for on the piece so it is drying properly without case hardening. Next, you will learn the advanced charcuterie of salami making. Each step in the progression builds on the one before so everything you have done up to this point will prepare you for making salami. It is a steep learning curve, but do not let that intimidate you. We have all had failures on the road to advanced Dry curing. Hell-I burnt to a crisp the first smoke sausages I ever made...I learned about proper fire management that day! LOL!

Two books-
Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages

and
The Art of Making Fermented Sausages

BEST $40 bucks you will spend to learn this craft.

I appreciate the advice. A couple of my limiting factors are equipment and space. It will be a while before I get/make a drying chamber, So I am planning on making some whole muscles using the DrySteak wraps as described by Eric at Two Guys & a Cooler. I bought an STX 4000 grinder that arrived yesterday that I will be using for grinding and, initially, stuffing, although I know eventually I'll get a standalone stuffer. I have a beverage cooler that I am re-purposing for this hobby.

For smoking, I doubt if a real smoker is in my future. So far I am using my gas grill and a smoker tube with pellets. I know that isn't up to the standards of serious smokers, but you have to make priority decisions when pursuing a hobby.

My immediate goals are learning some to make some whole muscle charcuterie and reviving a lost family tradition of making kielbasa at Easter and Christmas. But my first project with the grinder will be breakfast sausage patties. And my first whole muscle attempt is Eric's Calabrian cured pork tenderloin.

Reactions: indaswamp
If you're doing recipes that require smoke, I'd move that to the top of my list. You can build a wooden propane fired smokehouse that will reach the temps needed for sausages without breaking the bank.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky