Fresh Italian Sausage with Pix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
I need to have Italian sausage for New Years Eve. I had a 1.29 a pound butt down in the freezer for just the occasion.

bd8dbbdf_IMG_2199.jpg

b1c88326_IMG_2200.jpg

Cubed it into 1 - 1 1/2 inch cubes. Added about a 1/2 pound of fat I trimmed off my future Canadian bacons and threw it in.

9d86d7c7_IMG_2202.jpg

Mmmmm, pork.

f328355b_IMG_2203.jpg

Fennel seed ready for some crackin.

a790b3fe_IMG_2204.jpg

And the other herbs and spices.

63f16935_IMG_2206.jpg

Here's the mix.

7 pounds boneless pork butt

½ pounds fresh pork fat

6 Tablespoons cracked fennel seed

2 tsp garlic powder

2 tsp onion powder

1 tsp paprika

2 tsp parsley

3 Tablespoon kosher salt

2 Tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

In a large bowl, toss together thoroughly the pork butt, fatback, fennel, spices, cover with plastic wrap, and leave refrigerated for 2 hours. Grind through coarse plate. Then. Grind through medium plate and stuff into pork casings. Refrigerate, loosely covered, for 12 hours before cooking or freezing. Product must be cooked before serving.

My daughter helping me out. I don't have a real stuffer like Nepas.
th_crybaby2.gif
But she did real good.
biggrin.gif

a341c849_IMG_2207.jpg

There she blows.

1eb869fb_IMG_2209.jpg

I wouldn't need her if I had 4 hands.

437e82bf_IMG_2210.jpg

7 1/2 pounds of Italian sausage.

777b3226_IMG_2214.jpg

Fry test. La Familia approved.

b464a7a0_IMG_2215.jpg

Let's make some links.

b48047b0_IMG_2219.jpg

Ready for a night in the fridge. We'll freeze some tomorrow.

3ab66aaa_IMG_2222.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Yeah but you got a great helper. Say can ya send her my way to help with venison and goose....LOL

Schnitzel for all.

Looks good.

Looks fabulous!!

Nice looking kitchen too!!

Craig

popcorn.gif

Waiting for the cooked and sliced pic?

Great looking links!

Until then, your daughter is beautiful and precious!

Good luck and good smoking.

LOL where did ya hire the model for your Q-view. Seriously very nice job and it's always great when the kids help out.
Looks-Great.gif

Looks great. Italian is the only sausage that I've perfected though I've not attempted to make links yet, just bulk. Your recipe looks similar to mine. I add a little wine and mix it with the dry ingredients before pouring it on the meat. It adds moisture, flavor and I think it helps spread the seasoning throughout the sausage.

Well done and your assistant is impressive.

David

Great Job!

Next time try frying up the fennel seed before you mix it in.  I heat the fennel seeds until they start turning brown, then crush them up with a mortar & pestal.  You can use the back or a frying pan too.

Someone on SMF gave me the idea, and it really intensifies the flavor of the fennel.

Very Cool that the kid helps out!!

Todd

Reactions: Trigger01
Great sausage Scott! Nice simple recipe, that's the key to good sausage!

It's great to see you including your family in the fun. Not only will they learn to make sausage but they will have great moemories with their father! Great Job!

You are all too kind. Sam loved your comments. I will try the toasted fennel next time Todd. Sounds like a good idea. Glad you like my kitchen Craig. Been working on it for 2 years. Still not done yet. Redid the cabinets and the brick myself.

Here are some more pics. I will be frying some later today when I make my sauce.

Freezing them before I vac seal them. They tend to keep their shape better that way.

7f84f159_IMG_2233.jpg

Ready for the freezer. The ones in the ziploc will be fried later today.

6fe34fea_IMG_2236.jpg

Great looking sausage Alelover!  Fresh Italian is one of my favorites to make too.  I've been using my grandfathers recipe for years.  The local HT's have butts on sale here this week and I'm thinking the same thing but I'm going to smoke one as well as make some sausage! 

Thanks for sharing and I agree with the guys above, it's really cool you and your daughter doing this together.

Felice anno nuovo e di ottima salute!

Ciao!

-Salt

Great job on those links, Scott and you have a lovely assistant in your daughter.

Whenever my kids ask to help with a project, I jump at the chance to use them-I figure it does two things, 1- they get to learn stuff that I learned from my dad and 2- they get to spend some quality time with the old man.  My 16 year old grandson comes over now whenever I fire up the smoker(s) and now he want to help out when I make sausage.

icon_cool.gif

Now thats some great looking sausages there Scott. Then with some good hard looking I think I saw my Name onthe package second on the left and in the bottom row. Let me know if you need my address?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky