Fresh ham/ pork shoulder

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bwk180, Dec 31, 2013.

1. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

Four hours into a smoke and already hit 100 degrees should I be worried. It is about 18lbs. The two pictures attached are before going in the smoker and two hours in more to come.

2. hambone1950

hambone1950 Master of the Pit Group Lead

What temp are you cooking at ? Are you worried that it's cooking too fast or too slow ?

3. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

I was at 225 with onboard analog thermometer but I don't have a back up to check that. I think it is going to fast. But I got a digital meat thermometer for Christmas and this is my first time using it. So this is my first time really seeing how it goes up. So I could just be paranoid. Lol

4. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

I know it could hit its plateau and I will be fine but I dunno.

5. hambone1950

You'll be fine...that's not too fast and like you say , it'll stall at some point and then you'll wish it'd go faster.

6. hambone1950

What finished temp are you aiming for ? ......that's a bone in ham? It looks like a beauty.

7. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

Yes bone in fresh ham not cured so I'm treating it like a pork butt. And shooting for 190 or so to pull it for New Years dinner. Going to be a long night. Smoking it in cherry and going to finish it with apple since I need apple for my side dish of smoked Mac and cheese.

8. hambone1950

Will that work ? Will it pull like shoulder ? Didn't know that was an option.

9. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

I will like you know

10. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

I read where you can so I hoping. Just a different part of the pig. Front instead of back.

11. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

Eight hours in and temps are looking good sitting around 125 and rising slowly!!! Ready for the long haul overnight!!!

12. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is a beautiful picture, you should print it out and have it framed!  There is a wizened old smoker around here who would just say one word to you....... Patience.

And believe me he knows what he's talking about.

Looks really great so far.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  13. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

12 hours in and the cherry pellets are taking their color.

14. driedstick

driedstick Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Foamheart I think this is even a better one to frame but both are great - very nice

Great Job

A full smoker is a happy smoker

15. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

Made it though the night. At the 21 hour mark and IT is at 157.

16. hambone1950

Looks good , man. Are you cooking it for tonight , or just for whenever?

17. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

Late lunch early dinner whatever you wanna call it thinking I have everything ready about 4. It sitting at 164 and climbing slowly. Doesn't look like I will have to cooler it at all today after temps settled down over night.

18. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

[​IMG]

19. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie

20. bwk180

bwk180 Newbie