Freezing Propane Tanks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

charredmeat

Original poster
Dec 16, 2014
Middle Tennessee
First post in SMF, and I apologize if it does not directly relate to smoking.  Recently scrapped my rusted old gas grill and purchased one of those Blackstone gas griddles. This thing is awesome, but the only problem is that the propane tank starts to freeze up after about 20 minutes of use - the flame slowly dies down as if the gas has run out.  I can pick up the tank,swirl it around, and feel the remaining LP inside of the tank, but the tank is frosted over and it is as if the LP has turned to slush.  

So far in my research it seems that the griddle is drawing too much gas too fast causing the tank/LP to freeze up.  I have read that hooking up two tanks could help resolve the problem.  Not necessarily using one of those auto switch-overs like a travel trailer, but drawing from both tanks simultaneously.  Found this on Amazon that might get me started but was wondering if anyone else had this problem with a gas smoker.  I really do not want to shell out $400 for one of those electric blankets, so I am hoping the two tank method will be a more affordable solution.  

Has anyone experienced this problem?  

Reactions: JC in GB
Well the de-structions show and tell you to use a 20 gal tank, and the mount will only fit a 20 gal tank.  Im thinking its the regulator.  Ive contacted Blackstone and they should have one on the way shortly.  Thanks fort the reply!

Well the de-structions show and tell you to use a 20 gal tank, and the mount will only fit a 20 gal tank.  Im thinking its the regulator.  Ive contacted Blackstone and they should have one on the way shortly.  Thanks fort the reply!
Try placing your Propane tank in a bucket of water.

First off welcome to SMF and were glad to have you aboard...When you get a chance Can you swing over to roll call and introduce yourself so we can give you a proper welcome and don't forget to fill out your location in your profile........

Can you fill out your location in your profile.. Its times like these it would come in useful to what region your at. What outside temps are you running your smoker in. Sqwibb has a great Idea with the water. If the temps are low and the gas flow is high the tank will start to freeze and reduce the flow until it stops. When you shook the tank did you notice the flame increase..

Joe

Last edited:
I run my griddle in freezing temps and have not had that issue. I bought a 30 pound tank because I thought the 20 would get used up too fast. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. I am in agreement with the regulator being bad theory. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Welcome from Wisconsin.

JC :emoji_cat:

I run my griddle in freezing temps and have not had that issue. I bought a 30 pound tank because I thought the 20 would get used up too fast. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. I am in agreement with the regulator being bad theory. Hope you get it fixed quickly.

Welcome from Wisconsin.

JC :emoji_cat:
Seconded on the bad regulator theory, even if the thread is nine years old. :-)

• Haha
I kinda' doubt it was the regulator...but sure wish the original poster would let us all know how it worked out.
Do love the beer bucket of water idea...you can suck a lot more heat out of that much water than out of cold moist air!

Not sure I'm ready to noodle this through tonight. Propane is in a liquid state in a pressurized tank. Propane needs two things to vaporize: ambient heat and a decrease in pressure. Propane tanks in cold environments can freeze if there is not enough ambient heat to maintain a steady flow of gas as the pressure drops. It becomes more of an issue at higher flow rate demands.

Here's a link that gives a simple explantion...9 years too late.

Missed this on the go around.
Tennessee is a good chance that the Liquified Pretoleum Gas (LPG) fill has more butane than propane and very common in the temperate states. Butane won't flow for crap below about 50°F in high BTU application such as a Blackstone griddle in a vertical 20-30# tank.

In either case, tip your tank about 30-40° to increase the surface area of the liquid within the tank.
OR take your tank inside overnight. Then connect and still tip slightly.

Reactions: pit 4 brains
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky