Freezers make great Cooler and Smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuck white

Original poster
I found an old Freezer that they said wouldn't keep anything frozen.  That was exactly what I wanted for a cooler I took it home placed it in the garage.  Ordered a (Freezer Tamer)  it is a controller that plugs into a receptacle and you plug the freezer into it.

Then insert it's temperature probe into the freezer and set the temperature you want to hold and it turns the freezer on and off.  I set it On at 40 degrees and Off at 36 degrees.

Works great for hanging deer, hogs, and lambs.

For the smoker I found and old double door freezer.  Placed it down by the barn added a hot plate, a 3/4 " copper pipe with a ball valve instead of a smoke stack,  and double thermostats one probe for smoker temperature and the other to insert into the meat for internal temperature.

NICE!!! great looking set of equipment you got there! I just saw a nice freezer on a resturaunt auction site that looked like yours that didnt work for $1.25 the other day. Boy! what an internal struggle that was!  Mrs SOB would KILL me!

keep up the good work!

SOB

I have been wanting to get one of these. I currently have an electric fridge but wanted something bigger for compeitions. I have looked everywhere online and can't find any place that sells broken commercial fridge/freezer. You guys know of any place? I live in Jacksonville, FL

I have been wanting to get one of these. I currently have an electric fridge but wanted something bigger for compeitions. I have looked everywhere online and can't find any place that sells broken commercial fridge/freezer. You guys know of any place? I live in Jacksonville, FL
Keep checking Craigslist. That's where I got mine.

Here in Ohio we have a rural Newspaper called the Farm and Dairy they list all auctions.  I watch for restarant and school auctions.

I found an old Freezer that they said wouldn't keep anything frozen. That was exactly what I wanted for a cooler I took it home placed it in the garage. Ordered a (Freezer Tamer) it is a controller that plugs into a receptacle and you plug the freezer into it.

Then insert it's temperature probe into the freezer and set the temperature you want to hold and it turns the freezer on and off. I set it On at 40 degrees and Off at 36 degrees.

Works great for hanging deer, hogs, and lambs.

For the smoker I found and old double door freezer. Placed it down by the barn added a hot plate, a 3/4 " copper pipe with a ball valve instead of a smoke stack, and double thermostats one probe for smoker temperature and the other to insert into the meat for internal temperature.

Was / is there any plastic on the inside of fridge particularlynear the doors... also did you leave the insulation in the walls and doors. Working on mine now...
Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky