Franklin BBQ, Goldbelly and the Ripoff of Shipping Fees

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Daba's BBQ - After reading your extensive commentary of complaint, and doing some quick checking, the quoted price of $249 doesn't seem to be a ripoff at all, assuming you're dead set on getting a pre-cooked brisket from Franklin's BBQ in Austin shipped to your location in NYC. Possibly you haven't shipped any perishable products before and aren't familiar with the cost.

If you check Franklin's web site, you can buy the same brisket for pick it up at their location for $170. I couldn't find the price of the price of the BBQ sauce on Franklin's web site, but I have seen it on Amazon at $17/15 oz..

For shipping, Goldbelly states that they use a standard shipping box with ice packs No special container or dry ice. I checked my Fedex and UPS accounts for shipping rates and found that the cost for standard non-discounted 2-day PM delivery from Austin to NYC is $93.25 and $91.36, respectively. A proper box, ice packs, etc. would run around $10.

So, if you arranged to secure, in some manner, a brisket and sauce from Franklin's on your own, the product cost would be $187. With shipping, the total cost would be around $290.

To sum it up, if you want to play, you've got to pay.
So with that in mind he would save 41 bucks using them instead of winging it

Side note to this... As a guy who works for an air freight company (not one that has been named), I want to make everyone aware that FedEx no longer has over night guarantee. That was tossed by the way side for covid and never brought back. That means if you package isn't delivered overnight even if you paid for it... No refund. I believe it might be possible this company made a fresh with FedEx that their stuff gets delivered next day for a very high price. I know they have done this for some companies but it's major money. Again I want to clarify... I have NO proof or even an idea this is true. Its just not out of the realm of possibility. Also... If you know anyone who isn't working who wouldn't mind driving a freight truck in Minnesota, hit me up!

Double 8 Cattle ships Wagyu with free shipping over $250. It was $200 when I ordered. The brisket was $189 and shipping was about $40. I ordered a lb of ground beef and it was $203. Arrived frozen packed in dry ice.

A friend of mine from Austin waited and picked up a whole brisket from Franklin's, packed in ice packs and flew out to visit in California. It was really good. That said paying Goldbelly is just burning money.

Side note to this... As a guy who works for an air freight company (not one that has been named), I want to make everyone aware that FedEx no longer has over night guarantee. That was tossed by the way side for covid and never brought back. That means if you package isn't delivered overnight even if you paid for it... No refund. I believe it might be possible this company made a fresh with FedEx that their stuff gets delivered next day for a very high price. I know they have done this for some companies but it's major money. Again I want to clarify... I have NO proof or even an idea this is true. Its just not out of the realm of possibility. Also... If you know anyone who isn't working who wouldn't mind driving a freight truck in Minnesota, hit me up!

Your comment is partially correct. I have accounts with both Fedex and UPS, though I rarely use UPS. In March, 2020, I received an email from Fedex stating that they were suspending their overnight delivery guarantee. The next day, I received a similar email from UPS. Under the circumstances at the time, that wasn't surprising, but it concerned me quite a bit since nearly everything I use the services for is the expedited delivery of time-sensitive documents including date specific court filings. In the end, nothing went bad because most businesses and governmental facilities, including courts, were closed anyway.

In April, I received another email from Fedex stating that they were lifting the suspension of the overnight guarantee for most their services. Again, I received a similar email from UPS the following day. The services that the Fedex overnight guarantee suspension was lifted on are First Overnight, Priority Overnight, Standard Overnight, International First Overnight, International Priority Overnight, and International Priority Freight Overnight. As I recall, the few services the overnight suspension wasn't lifted on at that time pertained mostly to Fedex ground freight. That may have been lifted by now, but I don't know for sure, or even care, since I don't use their ground services at all.

I will have to double check, we run mostly freight overnights. They have been horrible lately with the driver shortage for freight.

I’m fairly popular as a BBQ cook, and just last night did an event with 140+ people (who continue to text me in the wee hrs)

Aaron Franklin knows more about the business of BBQ than I will ever know. On the other hand, I’ve had his and mine , but neither of them compare to east central Texas Q.

I’d recommend Truth BBQ in Brenham, (but that’s because we hunt around there)

probably a million more in the region with really good food.

no crumbly, pulled or sour brisket, and no pink paper in sight.

Last edited:
You can get a 20+ pound Wagyu brisket from snake river farms right now for $209 and I think it comes with free steaks too mcdvoice

Last edited:
There is a youtuber Tyronne Matthew's that charges $230 to have him cook a brisket for you.
You have to understand the time it takes to purchase, trim, prepare and cook for 16 hours. ...and that doesn't include shipping.
What's your time worth?
An 18lb prime brisket is $60...by the time it's trimmed and cooked, it's 9lbs of edible meat....he basically state's you need a x3 factor to make any money.

• Haha
Reactions: HalfSmoked
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky