For The Love Of Octopus!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

leah elisheva

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Sep 19, 2013
Seacoast of New Hampshire
Well Happy Thursday You Smoking Sensations! And here’s to some delicious smoked fun!

In addition to so much cuttlefish each week, and snails, and conch as well; I DO eat a hell of a lot of OCTOPUS, I suppose.

(Or here are just a few mere random/everyday samples of mine anyway – each from a different day, and in my humble, simple, and minimalistically prepared way). I do love the stuff though, I will indeed say.

And so, let it never be said that I don’t “Grab Life By The Tentacles,” right?

As for TODAY’S SMOKED OCTOPUS treasure, I made a little tutorial here at the end, too. Enjoy!

And make today delicious!!!!!!! Cheers! - Leah

And as far as TODAY'S Octopus Experience went...

I started out by taking my octopus...(Above)...

I mopped that through grapeseed oil and smoked paprika, and then put it on my little mini smoker with apple wood chips, (on moderate heat) for 15 minutes...

Then I chopped the guys into pieces...

and placed on a salad of mixed greens and spinach, with chopped raw elephant garlic, olive oil, apple cider vinegar and black sea salt...

and the ends were crispy, the aroma was amazing, and the body and head pieces just exploded with juices when biting in!!!

This was soft, succulent and a beautiful Thursday morning meal! Cheers!!!!!!!!! - Leah

Leah
drool.gif

77.gif
Looks-Great.gif
You have Octopus down to an art.

Happy smoken.

David

And so, let it never be said that I don’t “Grab Life By The Tentacles,” right?

As for TODAY’S SMOKED OCTOPUS treasure, I made a little tutorial here at the end, too. Enjoy!
It all looks DELICIOUS!! Beautiful pics too. I'd tend to agree, you do eat a lot of octopus!!

As for grabbing life by the tentacles, I have a funny story.

About a million years ago my family were on a vacation at the beach. If you've ever been to the mid-Atlantic in August, you'll know the glory of the sea nettle, or nasty small jellyfish. My sister was terrified of them, partly because of a nature documentary on PBS she'd seen about the Portugese Man-o-war. She was convinced she'd die if she went in the water. My father was trying to convince her to go for a swim when she began describing the horrors of the deep as she understood them.

"But Dad, there are these jellyfish that have like 8 FOOT LONG TESTICLES!! They swim up and wrap their testicles around you AND YOU DIE!!!"

To his credit, my Dad managed to keep a straight face and simply replied, "I believe you mean TENTacles, Dear".

Sorry for the sidetrack, but I couldn't resist. I think I'll call my sister now and make sure she remembers that story.

David thank you!!! And happy smoking to you too!

And what a fabulous story!!! (Mboatbum). Indeed, a call to your sister sounds like a wonderful idea! Enjoy! Such terrific family memories!!!!

Cheers to all! - Leah

If you can't find a way you like Octopus above, you're in trouble!

Was always my understanding they were either a very fast cook or a very slow cook or they chew like rubber. I do like them in Bouillabaisse, or a stew, don't know I have ever had them on the fast cook preparation though. Calamari can be very chewy I know if not cooked fast enough.

Anywho....... with all the above choices I would assume you know your octopus. It does look good, just not sure about squirting in my mouth just yet. Course I have yet to try it.

I like octopus but it is hard to get here in the mountains. If a restaurant does bring some in, they tend to overcook it and it is wretched. This, however, looks wonderful.

As for grabbing life by the tentacles, my missus has a slightly different version.

Good post Leah.

Disco

Thank you so much Disco! (And for making me laugh with the version you've got going on at home)! Fantastic stuff!

And Foamheart, yes, the octopus is really great in "combo" seafood and mollusk concoctions, like the bouillabaisse you mention! (Also nice in things like heaps of black rice paella, with other treasures joining it - such as cuttlefish, lobster, snails, artichoke hearts etc., as seen below in the mounds of some leftover paella of such from one day).

I am blessed to have access to tons of octopus here, and so it's an affordable and healthful staple for me to rotate in again and again, (plus I love it, and even when so simply thrown over whatever is around), but yes, too short or too long with heat can just be too tough.

When grilling, I do about 4 minutes on each side or a little less. The smoking today (staying on one side) was about 15 minutes.

In any event, here's to today! And to all!! Make it delicious! Cheers! - Leah

Incredible post Leah. I've done some Asian travel for work and can say I've eaten my share. None have look as appetizing as yours. I'm a fan of octopus and grilled squid. 

B

Last edited:
Incredible post Leah. I've done some Asian travel for work and can say I've eaten my share. None have look as appetizing as yours. I'm a fan of octopus and grilled squid. 

B

I'm just use to repeating myself when "old timers" are in the room Foam… Ha!      Sorry for the double post.

BUT this octopus looks so outstanding is its worth repeating!

B

Oh Foamheart, you're a riot! This site continually provides laughter, and I love that!

Meanwhile then, "Brian," thank you tons!!! Your travel must have yielded some very wonderful food! Cheers! - Leah

Happy Friday and Happy December Great People!!!!!!!!!

Seeing as I smoked up more of my staple rotation today, I'm including my Friday food and fun mood here.

I smoked today's octopus for 30 minutes, and with hickory chips, as to layer so very simply over salad.

And it was WON-DER-FUL!

Cheers!!!!!!!!! - Leah

Looks great Leah! Not sure how I missed this thread, I love octopi! When I lived in Hawaii I'd have Tako Poke in my lunch all the time!

As always Extra Tentacles please!!

Leah,  Kudos all around on the bounty that you are cooking up!  Looks wonderful, full of flavor and the colors are exceptional.  Some of the best I have seen in a long while.

Thanks very much!

Thank you Dirtsailor! Raw octopus is so good, and your Hawaiian treasures must have been fantastic!

Thanks also Frosty!

While Moikel is the absolute KING of octopus recipes, (and I thus enjoy his palate so very much), and while I  merely throw the goods over salad or whatever it be - simple, simple, simple - I still DO eat a hell of a lot of it, and thus share my repetitive meals or rotation, as I adore them and am enjoying them on many days of any week usually.

Meanwhile, here's to today, and to the weekend!!!!!!!!

Cheers!!!!!! - Leah

Holy smokes Leah! I sure hope the octopi can breed as fast as you're eating them! Thanks for all the awesome pics. You're plates are always works of art.

Leah....again, I am drooling and speechless.  Top notch all the way!  If you ever need any tasting guinea pigs, I'm available.

Well done! 
icon14.gif

The real cooking skill here is letting the Octopus shine without getting to tricky with it. A few flavours to enhance it / complement it ,cook it right & that's all you need.
It is really " fisherman s " style except their fire was driftwood.
Leah makes it look easy but thats the skill .

Thank you so much Humdinger, and Hagisan, and Moikel/Mick Too!

I think we should all meet up and have some massive octopus party!!!! How delicious indeed!!!!

Happy Saturday!!!! (It's snowy here but some simple Peruvian smelts are getting smoked or grilled nonetheless)!!!!

Cheers to all! - Leah

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky