Food For Thought...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...or thought for food.

What's your favorite food or meal? If you could have anything to eat, if even only once, what would it be? Nothing crazy or weird for me, it would be a toss up between fried shrimp and flounder with fresh corn on the cob, cole slaw, and hushpuppies or a ribeye grilled rare with a loaded baked potato and salad with bleu cheese dressing.

I'm in South Carolina with strong ties to our coast and I get to fish a lot, both salt water and fresh. It'll be interesting to see how different regions may affect people's answers. What do you like? What do you crave? What could you eat several times a week? What have you never eaten, but really want to try?

Man, I could spend a lot of time typing a complete list. So, I'll just stick to the Greatest Hits!...JJ

What do you like?
Favorites...Any Shellfish, Softshell Crab, Snails, Frogs Legs, Rib Steak, med/rare. Any above with Fresh Cut French Fries or Baked Sweet Potato and Roasted or Brown Butter Asparagus.

What do you crave?
Every week or two, I crave Sushi. Spicy Tuna, Roasted Eel, Cali Roll.

What could you eat several times a week?
Pork Roll (Taylor Ham) Egg and Cheese on a Roll for Breakfast. Jumbo Lump Crabcake Sandwich for Lunch. Bacon Cheese Burgers and Fresh Cut Fries for Supper.

What have you never eaten, but really want to try? A5 KOBI RIBEYE with Real Wasabi and Jumbo Stone Crab Claws, Together!

Being from Long Island with plenty of Brooklyn transplants, the answer is easy - Pizza. Being a type 2 precludes me from having it much anymore and it is truly the single food if I had to eat for every meal I would.

a ribeye grilled rare with a loaded baked potato and salad with bleu cheese dressing.

As much as I get to eat steak around here, this is my favorite and probably always will be. Fresh Maine lobster with quartered butter would be a real close second. I could easily eat steak numerous times a week in different ways for breakfast, lunch, or supper. Love them with either a loaded baked tater of fresh cut fries.

Robert

Is somebody else buying? If so, I'll take the ribeye and loaded potato, please.
Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots and onions always works for me and I could eat it for days and since it's only the two of us usually do LOL!
Not a big fan of seafood, but when I was traveling for work there was/is an Irish pub in downtown Minneapolis that had buckets of steamed mussels in butter
that I always got at least once while there. Never seen them anywhere else but I'd love to have them again.....

• Love
Reactions: forktender
...or thought for food.

What's your favorite food or meal? If you could have anything to eat, if even only once, what would it be? Nothing crazy or weird for me, it would be a toss up between fried shrimp and flounder with fresh corn on the cob, cole slaw, and hushpuppies or a ribeye grilled rare with a loaded baked potato and salad with bleu cheese dressing.

I'm in South Carolina with strong ties to our coast and I get to fish a lot, both salt water and fresh. It'll be interesting to see how different regions may affect people's answers. What do you like? What do you crave? What could you eat several times a week? What have you never eaten, but really want to try?
A favorite food is tough. i am overweight, (obese) and look forward to most anything. what i don't get often is a great corn-beef sandwich, with onion rings and a very cold porter beer. Steak is great, but i make a better one at home than i have ever had in a restaurant. When we go out (not that often) i order seafood, don't make that much at home.

A favorite food is tough. i am overweight, (obese) and look forward to most anything. what i don't get often is a great corn-beef sandwich, with onion rings and a very cold porter beer. Steak is great, but i make a better one at home than i have ever had in a restaurant. When we go out (not that often) i order seafood, don't make that much at home.
Larry, I have never eaten a steak at a restaurant that's better than what I can cook at home.

Reactions: PPG1
If only had one meal it would hands down by my mother's Lasagna.

Something I haven't eaten I would like to try, Abalone I guess.
It's what comes to mind and I've eaten all kinds of wild shellfish off the Southeastern coast of Australia that is nowhere else in the world and that was amazing. So Abalone is about the only thing shellfish wise I can think of :)

If only had one meal it would hands down by my mother's Lasagna.

Something I haven't eaten I would like to try, Abalone I guess.
It's what comes to mind and I've eaten all kinds of wild shellfish off the Southeastern coast of Australia that is nowhere else in the world and that was amazing. So Abalone is about the only thing shellfish wise I can think of :)
Never had abalone, but would absolutely like to try it. We love most all seafood....

Ok, well I do like more than just gravy! But I had to keep it short as we had couple hundred miles of interstate to go. Alot have been named, lasagna, fried chicken, almost any roast with taters and gravy. Beaver and woodchuck are quite tasty! Pizza is always good, as is home grown sweet corn!

Things I would like to try... maybe some fresh, never frozen seafood, not much of that in Iowa. Grits, I've never had them but would like to. Probably a host of things I would like to try but can't think of anything else right now!

Ryan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Ok, well I do like more than just gravy! But I had to keep it short as we had couple hundred miles of interstate to go. Alot have been named, lasagna, fried chicken, almost any roast with taters and gravy. Beaver and woodchuck are quite tasty! Pizza is always good, as is home grown sweet corn!

Things I would like to try... maybe some fresh, never frozen seafood, not much of that in Iowa. Grits, I've never had them but would like to. Probably a host of things I would like to try but can't think of anything else right now!

Ryan
Ryan, beaver and woodchuck aren't really an option for me, but I'd try them if I could. You've got to try grits, stone ground are my choice, and they are readily available online. They can be cooked in so many ways to anyone's liking. Not sure what to say about the fresh seafood except that we're blessed to have access to it and I hope that one day you can try some.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I have never eaten a steak at a restaurant that's better than what I can cook at home.

I too make great steaks. But there are Two that are Fabulous and can't be made at home.

The first is obscure. 50 years ago, there was a Department Store in the local Mall called Grants. They had an attached Family Restaurant. They had a Seasoned Steak that had a grain structure similar to Skirt Steak but these were manufactured some how to be all same size and shape. Anyway. Great flavor, juicy, tender with a noticeable fattiness but no visible fat anywhere. DELICIOUS!

The second is what is/was the restaurant only, Original Black Diamond Steaks. There are dozens of " somewhat close marinade recipes, " but I have not found an exact clone. I dont know if the Original BD Steaks are still around but Tyson has a Black Gold marinated steak that is supposed to be very similar, some say Tyson bought the original recipe, with mixed reviews on authenticity.
At $300 for 32-6oz portions, $25 per Pound on Amazon. I think I'll just remember the good old days...JJ

...or thought for food.

Fried Abalone steaks breaded in cracker meal, a killer tatar sauce, Mom's veal ravioli crusty sourdough bread with Kerrygold butter, a breaded artichoke and a nice green garden salad.
CA doesn't allow us to Ab dive anymore, and I'm sure as hell not going to eat the little 2-4'' Ab's that they farm raise in God knows what country. So it would have to be fresh caught Dungeness crab, fried and raw Goeduck and Horse neck clams with garlic butter over pasta. I'm a "fresh caught" seafood junkie!!!

1627550953487.png

😲😱🤣😂😂🤪

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky