Foil or no foil spare ribs??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

To foil or not to foil?

That is the $50,000 question...

For me, it's no foil for the crustier bark. But that's my personal preference.

YMMV
lol i feel like I've heard these discussions even on BBQ Pitmasters with all those veteran, grand champion grillers. Even they clash on topics like this :P

Hell, one guy wrapped his brisket in BUTCHER PAPER, and the judges from SMOKED were giving him shit for it, but guess what??? THEY LOVED HIS BRISKET!!!! and the other competitor used FOIL and lost all her bark on the meat. lol

That's the great thing about grilling, whatever works for YOU is usually the right way to go

Years ago I worked at a restaurant (Montanas for any Canadians reading) we used an electric smoker for ribs and smoked them standing on end as opposed to their side. Always tender fall off the bone ribs. We used the screw test for doneness. When the ribs bones are sticking out about 1/2 inch twist the bone, if it twists freely you have perfection.

I am just trying to do my first set of ribs this week and I just read tonight about the foil aspect. My original thought was to use a rack to hold the ribs on end and smoke half way up the smoker.

Years ago I worked at a restaurant (Montanas for any Canadians reading) we used an electric smoker for ribs and smoked them standing on end as opposed to their side. Always tender fall off the bone ribs. We used the screw test for doneness. When the ribs bones are sticking out about 1/2 inch twist the bone, if it twists freely you have perfection.

I am just trying to do my first set of ribs this week and I just read tonight about the foil aspect. My original thought was to use a rack to hold the ribs on end and smoke half way up the smoker.
We love FOTB ribs and my bend test means if you pick it up in the middle and it breaks in half it's done [emoji]128512[/emoji]
Now we have the "twist test", which I will have to try, of course.
I love this sport...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky