FNG Reporting from Santa Barbara, CA!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sbsyncro

Original poster
Jun 26, 2017
Hello all,

I'm not exactly new to smoking, but I'm new to taking it seriously (and spending so much time thinking about it!).  I was in the restaurant business for about 20 years, and am a kitchen appliance addict, but our tiny galley kitchen helps to limit my addiction to only the bare essentials (well, sorta...). 

After many years of fiddle-dinking around with Weber bullet smokers, Little Chiefs, Big Chiefs, and a "Smoke Hollow" (that I got on an "open box/scratch-dent" sale at the local Ace Hardware store - what a piece of junk!), I finally decided to get my first "real" smoker and got a MES30 (the older version with the panel mounted toward the back).  I have to be able to put it away after every smoke, and its compact size and light weight seem perfect so far, and I've been impressed with the ease of use.  I don't mind squatting on the ground to load/unload it.  lol

I'm an avid hunter and spearfisherman, so I tend to usually have a freezer at least 1/2 full of good stuff to cook, and am always looking for fun new ways to surprise my friends & family with game meats when they aren't expecting it.  (I recently served a Ragú of jack rabbit with fresh pappardelle that made everyone's jaws drop when I told them what it was!)

I've spent a lot of time lurking on the site and reading in preparation for many meals (most recently my first brisket, which I'll post about in the appropriate forum).    I'm looking forward to participating, learning more, and hopefully contributing based on my general knowledge of cooking and food science.

-Brent

Welcome to the forum!! 
welcome1.gif

Reactions: sbsyncro
Welcome and that is one biggggggggggggggg fish in your picture!!!

Haha. Thanks. Yea it was on the bigger size at around 54lbs. It took me for a good ride underwater as I recall. Unfortunately those fish (White Seabass) aren't very good in the smoker (too delicate/dry) but they are GREAT done sous vide!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky