Flippin MES !!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

paul6

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2015
Smithfield Utah
I have been and apparently always will be an Offset Guy . Bought an MES Last November rarely use it but when I have it has worked fine . Today I am smoking my first pork belly . For Fathers Day the kids got me a Bacon curing kit , everything you need plus when ready you log onto Tender Belly website and in 5 days your pork belly is delivered . Cured the bacon for a week and decided to use the MES . Set it up got temp at 170 but could not get the wood chips to smoke ( before you say you probably couldn't see it I stuck my nose over the vent and no smoke) even tried different wood chips . Worried I would wreck the Bacon I got the charcoal basket in the offset and quickly got it to 170 and moved the belly over to it . Has anyone ever had this problem ?

The MES coil is not on long enough to burn chips below 200...Especially during the summer in AZ. That was the inspiration for the A-MAZE-N products and how Todd got his start. Do what you did or get another smoke generator like the AMNPS or Tube...JJ

Thank you ( for stating the obvious which I missed )   that it is a Balmy 113 Degrees and I did notice that the heating element light was not on much but I was so pi..sed  That I just cranked up the offset . Makes sense if it is not heating the chips are not going to burn . 3 weeks ago I bought my son an amaze tube for his Green River Pellet grill because we did not think it was putting out enough smoke . Guess I will invest in 1 for my self . Thanks Again !

p.s I put a thermometer on that side of the house which is about 15 feet from my neighbors  The Reading .......... 128 degrees !

There is a learning curve to the MES . Get it figured out ,, works great for certain cooks . 

I love my MES, it does take some getting used to.

Get the AMAZN and you will be much happier with the low and slow smokes. Works great for cheese too.

Let us know how it goes.

I'm a MES guy. I love it. Loving it more since I moved over to the AMAZN. Asked questions about the pellets and got great feed back. I would say that being here I have been educated a lot more than I was. Give it some time. I bet it took time for you to use your offset. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky