FLEA INFESTATION!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
we use seresto collars on our dogs, we get them at the vet office, they cost around 60 bucks and last for four or five months, never seen a flea, as for the carpet jimmy lots of vacuuming and put a piece of a flea collar inside the collection bag to kill anything you suck up. not sure but i think we used to use revolution before the seresto collars.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
We are fighting the same problem this year JJ. Nothing seems to be working we have used K=9 Advantage and Front Line also a tablet that was to kill the fleas in a day. Many baths also.

Warren

OMG that sounds rough... not sure about how to clear the house. but we have used this; BRAVECTO® (fluralaner) Chews for nose mites a few times and the box says it works for fleas too. cleared the mites in about 24-48 hours. hope you can get this issue cleared up.

When the kids were young and with me for a weekend they brought in a kitten that a dog must have gotten hold of. Half dead and I had to put it down when they left.
Apparently it had fleas but I didn't notice anything until a couple of weeks later when my daughter got flea bites while with me again. In the carpet...
I tried everything from sprays to powders but nothing worked. I was traveling a lot with work then and didn't have any pets so I taped the kitchen cabinets closed and let off 3 "bombs" before I left for a few days. That worked. PITA though.
Good luck!

Thanks for the continued input. The hardest part is watching them scratch. The Beagle gets an allergic reaction that causes so much scratching, he chews the hair of his back...JJ

The Kids...Fenrir, Tilly (the Baby) and Smalls...

received_556576122374643.jpeg

Jimmy since you have carpet, the #1 thing to do right now is vacuum, vacuum, vacuum every inch of the house and empty the vacuum cleaner. We've always had dogs in the house and those years when the fleas seemed worse than usual, we vacuumed every day. I've since gotten rid of all the carpet. After that, treat the yard and then treat it again.

I used the Seresto collars for a couple of years, but now I give my 4-legged children Trifexis. It's a once-a-month tablet that I grind up and put on their food, but it's prescription only. Yes, it's pricey, but my dogs don't have any fleas. I've since quit treating my yard so maybe the cost evens out somewhat.

Hope ya get it taken care of! Love your dogs! I believe we use nexgard for our dogs, not cheap but it does work. We don't have fleas but we do have these fun little things...

20210720_133824.jpg

Older dog is like a magnet for them, long black hair and he hides them well... picks them up out in the Grove somewhere... but ya sure know it when you step on one!

Wish ya the best!

Ryan

My 3 Dogs have a Flea problem. At 25 to 50 pounds, bathing them is an ordeal. Anybody have a Sure Fire method of killing these little SOB's that won't brake the bank? It will have to be something that we keep doing/applying until the whole population is wiped out. The Cats may have them now too but they pretty much don't spend too much time were the dogs hang out. The 6 month old Pit/mix Girl still loves harrassing the cats if they get too close...JJ
Well in the old days, used sheep dip...unfortunately not available any more.....some tree oils like hmmmm can't spell but its the same tree them little kola's eat...gets rid of the little buggers...though on baby animals not good for them...eyes your animals would be fine.

chef jimmyj chef jimmyj = Permethrin is my savior for exactly what you are asking.

This is the stuff used by the military and on "mosquito proof" clothing and is safe on humans and pets, and is used in other areas where they fog areas to eliminate mosquitos and any other insects. It is safe when used as directed in the correct dilution and application. Permethrin General Fact Sheet (orst.edu)

I spray dog kennels, bedding, carpet, upholstery and pretty much the whole house with one formula and a weaker formula for direct application on the dogs. I also spray around the footings and eves of my house for spider and yellow jacket control. Problems solved.

You can order online but I have also seen it at our local Tractor Supply. You can get it in a spray bottle already premixed (Sawyer brand I think) but I find this not very cost effective. I buy the concentrate and carefully mix my own. I also add the IG regulator.

Please just use as directed and measure with judicious precision as you would using cure.

Our dogs are on Nexguard as a maintenance at half of the dose every other month also. Vets are complaining that they are seeing the fleas are becoming resistant to Nexguard and most all of these kinds of preventative and control drugs though.

Your kids are adorable!!!

Reactions: TNJAKE
The pet usage site I read cautioned not to use if there are Cats that will contact the dogs or treated areas. Do you have cats or just dogs?...JJ

browneyesvictim browneyesvictim Thanks. Some additional research said Permethrin is bad for Cats with actual contact from spray or wet surfaces. If we all sequester a couple hours after spraying the carpet and furniture, there should be no issue. We are going to run a test with the Premix Spray from Walmart. And if it cures our situation, I will take your advice and buy the concentrate and IG for future use. Thank you...JJ

Reactions: browneyesvictim
Permethrin will kill cats quicker than sh!t.
So you might want to pick up a bottle to help with the irresponsible kid's decision making skills.
You are NEVER going to get rid of fleas without treating the yard and the whole house and ALL the animals every two weeks until it gets cool enough to kill them off for the season.
It ain't gonna happen if you miss even one of the above steps!!!

Then where Chef JJ lives, you have this (below).
That will take care of your yard, but that will be a couple months from now:

Will cold kill fleas?
Fleas can’t survive in freezing cold weather. It doesn’t need to be quite freezing, or 32 degrees Fahrenheit, for fleas to freeze and die. Once the temperatures fall to 37 degrees, it’s cold enough to kill mature fleas as well as eggs, larvae and pupae.

Bear

The kids Spread some stuff that was supposed to kill Fleas and Ticks in the front yard, where the dogs go. We were initially impressed as there was no issue. But, the stuff was supposed to last 3 months and we saw Fleas after just 6 weeks. Appears to work fine on Ticks as we have not seen one...JJ

Mix you up some Talstar or Bifen in a pump sprayer and hit the yard good. Also spray your house around the base and 3ft up. Will kill the fleas, ticks, roaches, spiders, and black ants and keep them away for around a year. The outside house treatment will stop anything from coming inside. We had a bad piss ant problem 3 years ago. Used that and never seen another bug. I sprayed 20 gal in the spring this year

The problem is most of the insecticides only deal with adult fleas. You need to kill the cycle by way of the eggs, pupae, and larval cycle. If not, they will keep returning.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky