Flavor not penetrating into meat of baby back ribs; bark is good but meat is bland - help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

eaglemjb

Original poster
Aug 10, 2020
I really like Jeff's rub recipe. The spice is just right and the bark is good. But I'm finding the flavor is not penetrating into the meat of my baby back ribs. I follow his basic instructions to a T. Remove membrane, use yellow mustard, coat both sides with rub, let it sit, wrap in plastic and sit in fridge overnight. Using an electric Masterbuilt, I soak hickory and mesquite wood chips and keep the smoke going for several hours. The ribs usually go 6 hours there at 230 degrees without interruption, then I foil them and put them in just a warm oven for another hour or 2, then eat. Again, the bark and exterior taste great, but he rib meat is bland and just doesn't have any real flavor. What am I missing? Thanks.

Reactions: JC in GB
I like giving the ribs a bit of seasoned salt prior to applying Jeff's rub.

I have found that I don't like the mustard rub as much as using no binder.

The extra salt helps the flavor penetrate deeper into the meat.

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
Lately I just coat the ribs with coarse black pepper. Then every 45 minutes or so, mop them with a mix of BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar, and brown sugar. If you want more flavor inside the ribs you can inject them with Tony C’s marinade injection. It does take it to another level. And as said above DON’T soak the chips!
Al

i've tried mustard before and didn't see any difference so i never use it anymore, i put my rub on the night before, i never wrap, i have a mes 30 and when i used chips i never soaked them i always heard they won't smoke until the water is steamed out of them anyway. ( not sure how true or untrue that is) as for jeff's rub i can't comment i've never used it but maybe as JC mentioned add a little salt to the rub.

This might seem crazy to some folks, but I have laid a couple slices of bacon on top of my BBs. Reasoning being is that the rendering fat in the bacon works as a "vehicle" to help get the seasoning into the meat. As bb's usually have a lower fat content, I think it helps with the flavor and moisture. just my $0.02.

I don't use a mustard slather.
If you want the meat wet to hold the rub try this trick.
Give it a very light dash of salt. Let sit for 30 minutes until it pulls the moisture to the surface. Rub with your favorite blend. I use a low salt and no &*$% sugar rub. Wrap in plastic and fridge to rest. I prefer overnight, but sometimes it doesn't get that luxury.
I really want the ribs to rest unwrapped in the fridge for many hours to get the sticky pellicule that aids in smoke adhering to the surface as well as penetration.
No experience with a Masterbuilt electric (I currently have a Big Chief Electric, Masterbuilt Pellet Pooper [MPP] and Weber Kettle). Soaking chips and chunks in the Big Chief resulted in steam. I use a tube filled with (dry) pellets in both my MPP and my Weber. Many use a tube or tray with pellets or dust in their electric or other smokers.

tanglefoot tanglefoot I'm going to try the bacon trick on my next baby back cook.

More rub. If I have the opportunity I'll rub the night before and let them sit in my garage fridge uncovered. Then - before they go on the heat, I'll add a little more rub. Ribs don't need mustard glue but being thinner they'll pick up a light dry brine and that introduces salt into the meat, and salt is the most important seasoning of all. The rub I add the night before is salt heavy - the re-rub is salt light. Rub flavors penetrate very little - unless it's a LOOOONGGG brine (dry or wet). I do butts the same way but I do use mustard on those on the second rub.

I suspect the mustard is acting as insulation as others have pointed out. As good of a glue as it is for butt - ribs are flat and hold everything you sprinkle on top. I don't think I've ever done mustard on ribs.

If your rub isn't salt heavy you probably can't put on too much.

Rinse the ribs in cold water, add an even layer of your favorite rub or so salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and put them in the refer overnight or at least 2 hours. Then fire up the smoker. While the smoker is coming up to temp unrap the ribs, while they are still wet sprinkle on a layer of your favorite rub or another layer or S.P.O.G. Toss them on the smoker while they are still cold it will help with the smoke ring.

Don't soak the chips, because they will take longer to start smoking and you want the smoke to hit your ribs or any other type of meat right when it goes into the smoker. If you think the chip tray need more chips just pull it out and refill it. While you have the smoke chamber open mist the ribs with 50/50 mix of H2o and either apple cider vinegar or apple juice. I like using a 50/50 mix of H2o and pineapple juice or peach nectar, use what you like. The extra moisture will help the smoke adhere to the ribs better than if they are dry.

Good luck.
Dan

I really like Jeff's rub recipe. The spice is just right and the bark is good. But I'm finding the flavor is not penetrating into the meat of my baby back ribs. I follow his basic instructions to a T. Remove membrane, use yellow mustard, coat both sides with rub, let it sit, wrap in plastic and sit in fridge overnight. Using an electric Masterbuilt, I soak hickory and mesquite wood chips and keep the smoke going for several hours. The ribs usually go 6 hours there at 230 degrees without interruption, then I foil them and put them in just a warm oven for another hour or 2, then eat. Again, the bark and exterior taste great, but he rib meat is bland and just doesn't have any real flavor. What am I missing? Thanks.
Thank you all for the many great tips. I will definitely be losing the mustard, and not soaking my chips. I'll also incorporate many of the tips about salt and other techniques. I've been buying the shrinkwrapped frozen ribs, will look at fresh from butcher case. Thanks again!

Do you recommend using the water pan or no? I have been using it but recently read somewhere not to.

As others have said don't soak the chips. I like to keep a small blow torch to help jump start my chips in my electric smoker.

Try Brining the Ribs. Soak at least overnight, longer is ok. Make a batch of Jeff's Rub No Salt and use that on the Ribs. The Brine is Awesome for Chicken too...JJ

Families Favorite Brine

1/2C Kosher Salt
2T Paprika
2T Gran. Garlic
2T Gran. Onion
2T Dry Thyme
2T Black Pepper
1C Vinegar (Any)
1-Gal Cold Water, or as needed to cover meat.
1/2C Brown Sugar, Optional
1T Red Pepper Flake Optional

Mix well and Soak the Meat over night or up to 24 Hours.

Agree with all above. I use an MES 40 electric. No water pan, only the drip pan. Using an AMNPS pellet tube for smoke. Keep top vent all the way open. I use Jeff's original Rub. I don't use any binder to keep the rub on the ribs, their natural moisture works fine. I wrap them rubbed overnight. Just before going onto the smoker, I add more rub.

After 2-3 hours, I add more rub, then wrap for 2 hours or more until finished. I usually cook 5-6 hours total until IT hits 195. I keep the smoke going, even when wrapped. Some disagree with this, but I feel it couldn't hurt. Let us know how the next one goes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky