Flanken Beef Ribs!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rafter H BBQ

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 18, 2013
S.E. Idaho
Hey all, this was a cook from last weekend that I’m just getting around to posting.

So, we had never tried the flanken beef ribs before. Wife picked these up on a sale. I looked up on how these are cooked and there were a lot of different opinions.

Anyway, the night before I seasoned a few up with SPOG and a few the same other than I added some red pepper flakes to them. Tossed in a couple zip locks and in the fridge.

0DBFF5F2-A81C-4A31-B3F5-99EFD07F53E7.jpeg
2ECE376E-2419-49A7-A5F0-5BB3C77ECC87.jpeg

Since this was my first time cooking these, I went with the low and slow approach and smoked at 225* with apple pellets in the GMG! These were on for bout 3 hours. Here they are just off the smoker to rest a few minutes.

80342E1D-8CA6-4CD6-B2B5-E48D79132A35.jpeg

Couple sliced shots!

22EC54CB-93C6-4A42-B0BA-63DA1652595C.jpeg

9B16E8F6-BDEA-4FE7-B58E-E4541BC7938B.jpeg

Have to say, these turned out quite tasty! The fam said they enjoyed them.

Thanks for lookin all!

Justin you rockin with them I have only had them to flavor some soup.I would love to have tasted them like that.Points
Richie

The final pic says it all. Great job

Point for sure
Chris

OMG, those look Outstanding!!
I'll bet they were Mighty Tasty!!
Nice Job on them, Justin!!!
Like.

Bear

Justin...those look really, really good!! I'll have to see if they are available to me or if possibly they might go by a different name, as some cuts do on a regional basis. Hell, worst case I'll just cut some next time I get one of those 103 rib sections. I'm amazed they cooked that fast so they must be a more tender cut than a lot of beef ribs that take hours and hours to cook.

Looks great!!
Robert

Justin you rockin with them I have only had them to flavor some soup.I would love to have tasted them like that.Points
Richie

Thanks Richie, I was not sure what to expect where these are thin cut. We will do them again if we can find them on sale. Appreciate the kind words and like.

OMG, those look Outstanding!!
I'll bet they were Mighty Tasty!!
Nice Job on them, Justin!!!
Like.

Bear

Thanks Bear, I wasn’t quite sure how these were gonna turn out. We will for sure do them again. Appreciate ya dropping a line and the like.

They look awesome Justin! I'm starting to see them around here, I may have to give them a try.

Justin...those look really, really good!! I'll have to see if they are available to me or if possibly they might go by a different name, as some cuts do on a regional basis. Hell, worst case I'll just cut some next time I get one of those 103 rib sections. I'm amazed they cooked that fast so they must be a more tender cut than a lot of beef ribs that take hours and hours to cook.

Looks great!!
Robert

Thanks Robert, a lot of folks refer to them as Korean short ribs (kalbi). Cutting your own would be awesome, these were store bought in the package and were not all cut to the same size. Through some research, these are actually just thin cut short ribs. They did cook faster than I thought they would! I appreciate ya dropping a line, the kind words and like.

They look awesome Justin! I'm starting to see them around here, I may have to give them a try.

Thanks Joe, they turned out better than I expected. Appreciate ya dropping a line and the like!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky