Flank Steak & Black Garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I randomly caught a recipe online that involved black garlic and was intrigued. I had to order some online and so I’ll try a few things. Tonight was hectic, as always, so I couldn’t do anything special, but I seasoned some managers special flank steak Friday night so this was my first go.

I used the Traeger tonight. Steve H Steve H was generous a while back with an extra A-maz-n tube and it’s been used almost weekly. Pellet pooper was 250, I took the flank up to 135 IT.
A19C7EC5-15FA-4D50-AAA3-8BEE5F0C9F28.jpeg

Once flank was at 135 they were pulled and rested for a bit. Then I used my new SV Christmas gift to hold them at 135 while I made sides. Still using random things to keep meat submerged 🤣
06BF1F67-CE96-49E4-BB19-F55CBA183369.jpeg

We went with polenta as a side with Brussel sprouts. For the sprouts I used one of several tasty gifts from Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ and heated 4 tblspoons of huckleberry honey with about 3 of basaltic vinegar and whisked to incorporate.
5C9C4308-F681-486A-8ECB-1597DAF465C3.jpeg
E31D0FD8-9C86-4BAE-A4BF-B7BFB421AFFB.jpeg

I used the air fryer for the sprouts at 400 for about 15 minutes. Then drizzled this huckleberry sauce over the sprouts.
E28F88F9-1E1B-4ED4-B28A-9DF710A83A56.jpeg

Polenta was instant….4.5 cups chicken broth boiled and slow pour of polenta, off heat, whisking constantly. Once consistency was right added 1/2 stick butter. More would’ve been better!
3BFD27D4-5188-4CED-837B-1A857799AF65.jpeg
1E784651-2C64-4975-ABCC-770F0A511127.jpeg

Than the black garlic……
F6287337-F0C0-4F2A-B234-4B4D0940AD0F.jpeg
80C5EDF5-67F1-49B1-9260-A1725197F261.jpeg
E5A39DCC-2355-414D-8AFF-61E2D46D770D.jpeg

There are a lot of options for Black Garlic. For this try I did plane black garlic butter and thyme.

Pulled the flank from hot water and seared.
672C9D7F-6CA0-42F5-B8FE-FF606BD1433F.jpeg

Then rest, cut, and plate.
DA80531B-E7D6-4352-A08A-5C0FA9BCA0FD.jpeg
9FC05A72-D2DF-427E-8286-465D1E1FD724.jpeg

So, Black Garlic….. I love it, but it’s not a silver bullet. The mallard reduces the bite of raw garlic and makes it very sweet. My issue is that there was too much sweet in this plate and not enough savory. Polenta (Corn) sweet, sprouts with honey/balsamic was sweet, and the butter with black garlic was drowned out with the meat. That being said, I loved the black garlic butter with salted/peppered meat on its own. Great meal and fun!

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
Nice job on that flank Jed. It's one of my favorite cuts of beef. To bad they got so expensive.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: bauchjw
Nice plate of food, Jed. I haven't had flank steak in a long time since it's gotten about as expensive as ribeyes, but what hasn't gotten ridiculously expensive? As for the polenta, love that stuff. We eat grits regularly and I will use that in place of rice...

Looks great Jed, and lots of different flavours on the plate.
And your pictures are great also

Now , I have to ask I have never heard of Justin's Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Huckleberry Honey, How was the flavour of that.
I used to bottle different kinds of honey, but have never even had a huckleberry, let alone the honey, just asking

I must let a sheltered life as I have never had Polenta either, I have to get out more

David

That looks outstanding Jed!! Just a beautiful plate and I love what you did with the sprouts. Very nice sir, especially taking into account the perpetual chaos at your house :emoji_laughing:
Steve H Steve H was generous a while back with an extra A-maz-n tube
There was an ulterior motive Jed. See... Steve H Steve H is quite the enabler. The only reason he sent that to you was to get you to spend more money on something else :emoji_wink:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw and Steve H
That looks outstanding Jed! I never tried black garlic and often thought of making my own but I can’t get my head around the idea of leaving my dehydrator run for weeks.

I love everything that you made, excellent job!

The meat looks like it is cooked perfectly. I say don’t use anything but the tongs to keep the meat submerged in the future! 😂

• Haha
Looks great Jed!
Thank you Steve! Enabler🤣 I love that tube, it makes everything on Traeger so much tastier!
Nice job on that flank Jed. It's one of my favorite cuts of beef. Too bad they got so expensive.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris! I love flank too. Yes, crazy how expensive it all is now, but keeping my eyes out for sales helps. I appreciate your time and the points!
Nice plate of food, Jed. I haven't had flank steak in a long time since it's gotten about as expensive as ribeyes, but what hasn't gotten ridiculously expensive? As for the polenta, love that stuff. We eat grits regularly and I will use that in place of rice...
Thank you! Yes, it’s all gone way up and I don't think we’ll ever see prices really drop to what they once were again. Beginning of the end for globalization, probably. But, we just eat red meat less than we used to and make sure it’s killer when we do! Polenta is an incredible filler and so easy to adjust for a variety of flavors!

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
Awesome meal! That flank looks finished to perfection! I'm the same way, prefer salty/savory over sweet. (Probably why my blood pressure is so high)......

• Haha
Looks great Jed, and lots of different flavours on the plate.
And your pictures are great also

Now , I have to ask I have never heard of Justin's Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Huckleberry Honey, How was the flavour of that.
I used to bottle different kinds of honey, but have never even had a huckleberry, let alone the honey, just asking

I must let a sheltered life as I have never had Polenta either, I have to get out more

David
Thank you David! Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Justin’s huckleberry honey is pretty amazing. I’d compare it to wildflower Honey for flavor. The difference is that the huckleberry is smashed into the honey. I’ve used it a few different ways, but my favorite is on good warm bread😃

Polenta, that’s a new one in my house over the last few years too. SMF somehow got us hooked🤣My family loves it. We used chicken broth whisked in the instant polenta and finished with butter😃 Highly recommended for a starch to replace rice or potatoes!
Has me drooling Jed. Great cook.
Thank you Brian!
Looks awesome Jed!
That steak is done to perfection!
Al
Appreciated Al! came out super tasty. Reverse sear has been a game changer!
That looks outstanding Jed!! Just a beautiful plate and I love what you did with the sprouts. Very nice sir, especially taking into account the perpetual chaos at your house :emoji_laughing:

There was an ulterior motive Jed. See... Steve H Steve H is quite the enabler. The only reason he sent that to you was to get you to spend more money on something else :emoji_wink:

Robert
🤣Thank you Robert! A little too much sweet in this go, hard to go too sweet with sprouts and steak🤣 But it was definitely edible. I made some adjustments tonight and came out great!

Steve H Steve H is definitely one of the best/worst enablers here🤣

Thank you David! Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ Justin’s huckleberry honey is pretty amazing. I’d compare it to wildflower Honey for flavor. The difference is that the huckleberry is smashed into the honey. I’ve used it a few different ways, but my favorite is on good warm bread😃

Polenta, that’s a new one in my house over the last few years too. SMF somehow got us hooked🤣My family loves it. We used chicken broth whisked in the instant polenta and finished with butter😃 Highly recommended for a starch to replace rice or potatoes!

I can't believe there would be anything on this site that would sway people one way or the other. :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses:

As for the honey it sounds great but I will see if I can find some Huckleberry's first , maybe some jam to try it out
And honey on hot rolls or bread :emoji_yum::emoji_yum:
But Love honey, a lot of times will use that for a while in my tea instead of sugar

Thanks Jed

David

Jed, that is one top notch meal my friend… nice job! That garlic sounds interesting… and the final pic had my mouth watering big time!

Thanks for the shout out, hoping you all are enjoying!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky