Flank round 2

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texomakid

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 6, 2017
Lake Texoma
This time I decided to go bold on flavor. I had an extra flank from the previous cook (they come in 2's @ Sam's) and I've just been too busy to get to it but I got to it tonight. I always toil with the prep but I'm gonna stick to the "lazy man's" approach since I got so many irons in the fire. I decided to marinate this one in Dale's. I like Dale's and I also use it in my jerky. 2 hours of marinate and I remember I have some tx smoker tx smoker beef rub so I decided to throw some of this on there while the Yoder is getting fired up. Set the Yoder @ 160 w/ Lumberjack 100% cherry, apple blend, and threw in some Pecan blend just to give it a little nutty accent. After about 1 1/4 hours it's just over 100 deg so I throw this flank onto the propane grill that is very hot and give it a quick sear and bring it to 130. Results are good (IMO) but a bit on the salty side. This rub is bold on it's own and it's probably good as a stand alone but I was going for bold and I achieve it (go big or go home, right?) Next time I'll either coat the flank with Dales prior to applying the rub (skip the 2 hour marinate) or I'll skip the marinate all together if I use this rub but I really like the flavor that the marinate adds to this - great for salad or fajitas. tx smoker tx smoker I'm liking this rub. I've been a fan of TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Texas rub for a long time and this is kind of in that same genre of rub but a lot more complex. Any thoughts, opinions, or ideas are appreciated. Thanks for looking.
IMG_4846.jpg

IMG_4845.jpg

This time I decided to go bold on flavor. I had an extra flank from the previous cook (they come in 2's @ Sam's) and I've just been too busy to get to it but I got to it tonight. I always toil with the prep but I'm gonna stick to the "lazy man's" approach since I got so many irons in the fire. I decided to marinate this one in Dale's. I like Dale's and I also use it in my jerky. 2 hours of marinate and I remember I have some tx smoker tx smoker beef rub so I decided to throw some of this on there while the Yoder is getting fired up. Set the Yoder @ 160 w/ Lumberjack 100% cherry, apple blend, and threw in some Pecan blend just to give it a little nutty accent. After about 1 1/4 hours it's just over 100 deg so I throw this flank onto the propane grill that is very hot and give it a quick sear and bring it to 130. Results are good (IMO) but a bit on the salty side. This rub is bold on it's own and it's probably good as a stand alone but I was going for bold and I achieve it (go big or go home, right?) Next time I'll either coat the flank with Dales prior to applying the rub (skip the 2 hour marinate) or I'll skip the marinate all together if I use this rub but I really like the flavor that the marinate adds to this - great for salad or fajitas. tx smoker tx smoker I'm liking this rub. I've been a fan of TulsaJeff TulsaJeff Texas rub for a long time and this is kind of in that same genre of rub but a lot more complex. Any thoughts, opinions, or ideas are appreciated. Thanks for looking.
View attachment 413690
View attachment 413691
Looks delicious

looks great but Dales is way to salty to soak stuff very long for us, the lower sodium tastes different, not sure you can use a rub with salt after using either, I have quit using either

Looks great
Thanks PC
looks great but Dales is way to salty to soak stuff very long for us, the lower sodium tastes different, not sure you can use a rub with salt after using either, I have quit using either
You're right Mike - too salty for sure. If I can reel that salt back about 5 notches I think it would be perfect. Smothered in sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, jalapenos, cheese, wrapped in a low carb tortilla really help tone it down and make it very good.
Looks good nice sear marks
Richie
Thanks Richie - I'm obsessed with grill marks! lol
Looks delicious! Nice fajitas.
Thanks Ray - it made really good fajitas.
Wow, looks fantastic. Nice job... :emoji_cat:
Thanks JC
What a great looking flank steak there guy. Sure could chow down on some of that.

Warren
Thanks Warren - myself, my wife, and one of my wife's GF wiped that flank out - no left overs :emoji_sunglasses:

Looks fantastic! I love the fajita. I find myself putting a lot of my smoked meats into a tortilla with a few other toppings. Just seems to add to it... Nicely done! LIKE!

View attachment 413690
View attachment 413691
Wow that looks super good!!

that looks killer! nice work! Reverse searing is a fav!
Thanks Sandyut. Reverse sear is a definite staple in my arsenal. Hey, being a Sooner fan that I am I got my eye on them Utes!!!!:emoji_football:

Looks fantastic! I love the fajita. I find myself putting a lot of my smoked meats into a tortilla with a few other toppings. Just seems to add to it... Nicely done! LIKE!
Thanks Joe, hard to beat a good fajita and a little light smoke is a plus!

Hell yeah that looks outstanding! Nice color and grill marks. I use the low sodium dales quite a bit. Points for sure!
Thank you VOLfan. You're one of several that have mentioned the low sodium Dales. I'm gonna grab a bottle of that next run to the store.

Wow that looks super good!!
Thank you Mr. Hawg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky