Flaming Chips in my MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tko112204

Original poster
Nov 22, 2013
Have an MES 30. Put the bird on this morning. Noticed an abnormal amount of smoke.

Opened the door and the wood chips were flaming sort of high. Took the chip try out and put the fire out, but that shouldn't happen right?

Any ideas on what might have caused it?

Most likely too many chips. Only add a very small handful, 1/4C, at a time. You will need to reload every 30-40 minutes...JJ

1. chips, is it the same kind you've used in the past w/o any problems? Could your chips have become contaminated?

2. Improper alignment of the chip tray? You can put the tray in wrong on one of the models, there is actually a fix from the manufacturer for it.

3. have you had this problem in the past?

4. chips should never flame only smolder.

5. Did you use the 1/2 C amount?

Excuse me Chef, didn't see you there.

Last edited:
I don't think I put too many in there, but may have.

More than 1/4 C I would imagine.

These were fresh out of the bag applewood chips from Home Depot.

Never used them before, but seemed pretty standard. I put the chip tray back in with a single layer of chips and the smoke seems more reasonable right now.

Thanks for the help guys.

Its not uncommon for the mes gen 2's (even the older ones sometime) to have a fire in the chip tray. There is a retro fit chip tray for a couple models as foamheart says, but many chips you buy are simply tinder dry flavorless crap. I've used small chunks in the mes....better flavor, longer burn, and no fires! All the best to you.

Last edited:
I agree with Chef.  And Foam wrote a great punch list.   Too many chips in the hopper will cause your flair ups and excessive smoke.  I've done the same thing. Chips should be loaded only a small handful at a time. Did you soak the chips in water before loading?  That might help. 

Wont help you now but I'd highly recommend to make the $35 investment in the AMaze N pellet smoker tray.  With that accessory  your MES become a true set it and forget it smoker.  

Last edited:

I agree with Chef.  And Foam wrote a great punch list.   Too many chips in the hopper will cause your flair ups and excessive smoke.  I've done the same thing. Chips should be loaded only a small handful at a time. Did you soak the chips in water before loading?  That might help. 

Wont help you now but I'd highly recommend to make the $35 investment in the AMaze N pellet smoker tray.  With that accessory  your MES become a true set it and forget it smoker.  
THANK YOU! I've been trying to figure out what AMNPS stood for for 3 days now. Haha.

Who do I contact to get one? And with it, would I no longer use the chip loader and tray? All my smoke would come from the the AMNPS, correct?

THANK YOU! I've been trying to figure out what AMNPS stood for for 3 days now. Haha.

Who do I contact to get one? And with it, would I no longer use the chip loader and tray? All my smoke would come from the the AMNPS, correct?
[/quote]

Contact Todd.... I think he still has a sale going on.... He's a member here "T Johnson"

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/amaze-n-pellet-smoker

Last edited:

They advertise on this site. I think you'll only read good things about those folks. 

Here is their  link. http://www.amazenproducts.com

Our forum product review is too 100% satisfaction. Thats a great accomplishment considering all our opinions! LOL  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/products/amaze-n-pellet-smoker

Buy the way if you go to the forums home page Amazin has an advertisement with a Thanksgiving special code for free shipping.  

You will use the AMNPS rather than fuss with the loader like you are doing now.  You light the thing and close the door and forget about it…  Load less wood. Drink more beer.  

Enjoy your holiday.

B

Last edited:
They burn awful fast and make a lot of smoke. Small chunks are the best in lieu of the AMAZN.

I had someone give me a couple of pieces of Apricot that was 2" thick and about 8" long. Used a band saw to make it into 1/4" disks and then can break them with my hands. Those should work ok ??

Can't help but get in on this one as I just ran across it.

Mes makes garbage products period. I can't stress this enough. Cheaply made, over priced garbage.

My chips ignite regardless of amount, everytime. If I cut up chunks into finger size pieces they don't ignite in my mes 40, gen, but it's always thick, white smoke. The kind you don't want.

The amazn is the only thing that saves this giant hunk of trash!

I had to bend all the rack screws into place so the racks would fit the day I got it. The box it was shipped in was in good shape, but the smoker itself had a corner smashed like you wouldn't believe. Nothing they "missed" in the factory for sure. Just something they passed onto the customer.

Then after about 8 months the damn latch that holds the door shut busted off. I probably used it 8-10 times.

I can't shout loud enough as to the piss poor quality of the mes gen 2 smokers. Then again this info is all over the internet already, and they haven't done anything about it. Guess I didn't do enough research before I bought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky