First WSM Smoke - need advice for a small piece of brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike72

Original poster
I finally upgraded from a Brinkman ECB to a WSM and have been dying to try brisket. A friend who is a butcher gave me a pound and a half of the top - also called a "second cut" brisket (half of the smaller top section, with the fat cap) - I can't afford to risk ruining a whole brisket, and just wanted to test the smoker. (and why say no to free beef?!)

Should I just keep this on the smoker for about 2 hours and then foil? can I get a good bark with such a small piece? (it has a good fat cap)

(I mainly do chicken & turkey - so any brisket advice is greatly appreciated!)

Thank you!

You have half a point.  I have never done that small of a brisket cut before but a pretty good rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 hrs per lb at 225-250*.  Depending what it weights and since it has a nice fat cap you might try to do it without the foil. 

Thanks for your response. I ended up making it last week, as it was my first wsm smoke I ended up with a high temp of 300 and think I killed most of it (too rubbery/tough). There were a few bits that came out ok but I think I will have to learn to have some patience & play with the smoker to get used to it! (I have made some great chicken and ribs on my modified ECB thanks to this forum, but was so excited to play with the WSM,,, Oh well!)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky