first Wangs on the Lang!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
got a 40-lb-er of wings from Restaurant Depot this weekend. Split em w my dad, but left out a few for the Lang. Just had to wait out the weather. Ended up putting them on last night around 5.

Had pecan wood going, and this was a simple cook. Ran the smoker at 275 for 1.5 hrs, rotated the racks every 30 or so. At 1.5 hrs in they were close, so I cranked the heat up to 325 for the next 30 minutes and they were ready-freddy!!

We devoured them. Skin was crispy, marinate was terrific (Italian, Worsh, tabasco). I also made some home made buttermilk ranch, and some authentic wing sauce w/ butter and franks. Man, why did I wait so long to do wings on the Lang??

IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0119.jpg IMG_0120.jpg

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I swear, I don’t know what I did before I bought my 36 patio. I love it, it makes me look good!!

Doug your going to LOVE it! Enjoy!!
Super excited about it, I had one on the way but it was involved in an accident last weeend. I guess the truck rolled and lost all the cookers. They put a rush on the order so hopefully this week. I will definitely be trying those wings.

Great looking wings. now I'm hungry for lunch! I love the flavor of pecan wood on anything and a Lang is the way to go. on suggestion i would make is take a couple pics of your Lang and share those too!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: 73saint
When I got my Lang I was surprised that the top grate & bottom grate had about a 20 degree temp difference, and the firebox end was about 20 degrees hotter than the other end. I tried raising & lowering the side opposite the firebox & it really didn't make much difference. But when I put a water pan next to the firebox on the bottom grate the temps across the grates evened out, but the top grate is still hotter than the bottom, which is OK with me, as long as I know it. I have the 36" Patio & I think that there is not enough length for the temps to equalize unless you help them out with the water pan. The pan I use is just a small 9" bread pan, but it works just fine. I even added 2 more Tel-Tru's for the top grate, so I could monitor the temps everywhere in the smoker.
IMG_5237.JPG

I guess it just boils down to experience & knowing what to expect with your smoker.
But I have to say I love that Lang & it is a real joy to cook on!
And BTW, it sat right in the middle of my backyard during hurricane Irma with 110-120 MPH winds totally unprotected & it didn't move an inch! The eye wall went right over my house!
Al

Great looking wings. now I'm hungry for lunch! I love the flavor of pecan wood on anything and a Lang is the way to go. on suggestion i would make is take a couple pics of your Lang and share those too!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Ok, no problem. Now, typical protocol for me is to clean my Lang right when the meat comes off the pit, while it's still hot. Seeing as how it was dark, and we wanted to eat hot wings, I waited to clean my smoker until today. Here are some not-so-clean pics...

IMG_0123.JPG IMG_0124.JPG IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0126.JPG

Those look fantastic! Is there anything you are planning on doing differently next smoke?

I'll repeat that when I do the wings. Maybe let em go another 10 minutes, they were crispy but could have been a tad crispier. Now, my next smoke is going to be pastrami from scratch. I have brisket and venison curing in my fridge right now. That ought to go on the pit either Saturday or Sunday.

When I got my Lang I was surprised that the top grate & bottom grate had about a 20 degree temp difference, and the firebox end was about 20 degrees hotter than the other end. I tried raising & lowering the side opposite the firebox & it really didn't make much difference. But when I put a water pan next to the firebox on the bottom grate the temps across the grates evened out, but the top grate is still hotter than the bottom, which is OK with me, as long as I know it. I have the 36" Patio & I think that there is not enough length for the temps to equalize unless you help them out with the water pan. The pan I use is just a small 9" bread pan, but it works just fine. I even added 2 more Tel-Tru's for the top grate, so I could monitor the temps everywhere in the smoker.
View attachment 360887

I guess it just boils down to experience & knowing what to expect with your smoker.
But I have to say I love that Lang & it is a real joy to cook on!
And BTW, it sat right in the middle of my backyard during hurricane Irma with 110-120 MPH winds totally unprotected & it didn't move an inch! The eye wall went right over my house!
Al

Al, have you tried the mod of extending the chimney intake to the lower grill area, with a duct connector (not sure exactly what it's called). I find that helps with evening my upper/lower grate temps.

I noticed the racks you placed your wings on that fit perfectly on top of the grates inside your Lang. Do you recall where you got those from.

I noticed the racks you placed your wings on that fit perfectly on top of the grates inside your Lang. Do you recall where you got those from.
Yes, I got them from Restaurant Depot. I use the heck out of em for things like cold smoking cheese, and now for wings. They are useful.

Now that I’m home, I got the old Lang cleaned, seasoned and smoke cured.
upload_2018-4-16_19-36-39.jpeg

Firebox looks pretty good once I give it a good coat of Pam

upload_2018-4-16_19-37-29.jpeg

I believe Ben Lang when he says the secret to good bbq is a clean smoker. Puts out some fine, consistent q!
upload_2018-4-16_19-38-49.jpeg

Reactions: dcecil
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky