First Turkey, Need Opinions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Corey06

Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Hey everyone, I have been a long time lurker and decided to join as I have some questions.

I’m going to be smoking my first turkey, I have smoked whole chickens before but basically spatchcock them and used a dry rub and smoked with applewood in my Bradley. The chicken has always turned out awesome.

I have read a lot of people brine there turkey, I was originally thinking of spatchcock my turkey and just using the same rub on the turkey I do on my chickens and maybe making up some injection and injecting the bird also. I am just curious to what most of you prefer, the actual brine or have you liked the dry rub? I like to have a crispy skin and wasn’t sure if you brine if it’s hard to get skin crispy from all the moisture.

Thanks for any advice!

I never brine mine because the ones I buy usually say on the packaging that they are packed in up to a 10% solution. At that point its probably already brined and would be a waste to further brine. I just use a good rub for chicken. Spatchcock is a great way to speed the cook up. I like to remove the leg quarters and the wings so I can cook the breast separate. The breast I pull at 150-155° internal temp and wrap and rest before carving. The leg quarters I take up closer to 180°-185° that gives them time to break down to that fall off the bone point. Also all I know for the crispy skin to use a little higher temp. I've had good luck letting the skin dry out in the fridge over night to help with crispy skin. And once it's on the smoker baste with melted butter. I always have a much harder time with Turkey skin than I do chicken skin.

Last edited:
I always brine as the turkey I get comes from a local ranch and is fresh.
I would definitely brine if it's a fresh Turkey . But I have had no differences in moisture brining the pre packaged ones that are already packed in a solution.

Ya this turkey isn’t a butterball, just a frozen turkey young turkey so I doubt it’s injected with anything.

If you decide to brine check out Tip's slaughterhouse brine. Awesome on birds. I second the on spatchcock. I personally spatch, place rub and pats of butter under the skin on breasts, and smoke at 300 to get that nice crispy skin.

I would definitely brine the turkey and all poultry in my opinion. To me it's going to be challenging to get the skin crispy whether you brine it or not. There are a lot of threads on poultry skin and some methods on how to make it better.

Going from memory, there is a method where you let the skin dry out in the fridge or use a fan with it on the counter. I can't for the life of me remember the term of that right now. But if you do a search you should be able to find a lot of discussion on it. I think some leave it uncovered in the fridge for 24hrs to help dry the skin.

Also you are going to have better results smoking at higher temps with poultry like 275 ish range.

Another method is pulling it off early and crisping it either on the grill or broil it in the oven.

I think it would be easer to spatch it but I can understand why you wouldn't. Some like the full turkey look.

I hope this helps a little and good luck!

Hey everyone, I have been a long time lurker and decided to join as I have some questions.

I’m going to be smoking my first turkey, I have smoked whole chickens before but basically spatchcock them and used a dry rub and smoked with applewood in my Bradley. The chicken has always turned out awesome.

I have read a lot of people brine there turkey, I was originally thinking of spatchcock my turkey and just using the same rub on the turkey I do on my chickens and maybe making up some injection and injecting the bird also. I am just curious to what most of you prefer, the actual brine or have you liked the dry rub? I like to have a crispy skin and wasn’t sure if you brine if it’s hard to get skin crispy from all the moisture.

Thanks for any advice!

Hi there and welcome!
I always brine a turkey solution or not. I at least know how much salt I have in my solution vs what the store solution is, plus I like adding cure#1 for that great flavor.

As for skin, smoke as hot as you can in your Bradely and it helps if you have a vertical roasting rack/pan (large beer can rack). This makes sure air is moving up and along the skin to help it out.

Poultry skin just doesn't like to behave unless cooked at a high enough temp. I always try to go for 325F or higher but your top limit may prevent that. So smoke as high as you can AND sit it vertically if you can to help out.
Finally if you want to smoke and cook it to like 140 IT in the breast you can always finish it on a hot grill skin side down and that should whip the skin into shape if it gets enough heat for a long enough time.

I hope this info helps :)

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks guys, maybe I will have to give the brine a shot, will just have to see if I can find a good one to try!

Ya this turkey isn’t a butterball, just a frozen turkey young turkey so I doubt it’s injected with anything.

I do 4-6 turkeys a year. Check the label on that "frozen young turkey." It may say "Contains ___% solution of ____." You'll see anything from 2% to 10%. If it is in the lower range, brine away. If it is 6% or more, it can get pretty salty if you brine.

Most brine recipes I've seen call for a LOT of salt, like 1 1/2 to 3 cups for 2 gallons. I use like 1/2 cup of salt if I brine.

Since this is your first turkey, I'd do it exactly like your poultry so you have a baseline starting point of flavor and results. A dry skin is essential for bite through skin. I put fans on my turkeys for about an hour prior to spraying with oil and rubbing. Overnight in the fridge will also dry the skin.

If you use fat on the skin, make sure you have good smoke, not dirty smoke. Oiled or fatted skin on poultry picks up bad smoke and seems to amplify it.

Reactions: zwiller
I do 4-6 turkeys a year. Check the label on that "frozen young turkey." It may say "Contains ___% solution of ____." You'll see anything from 2% to 10%. If it is in the lower range, brine away. If it is 6% or more, it can get pretty salty if you brine.

Most brine recipes I've seen call for a LOT of salt, like 1 1/2 to 3 cups for 2 gallons. I use like 1/2 cup of salt if I brine.

Since this is your first turkey, I'd do it exactly like your poultry so you have a baseline starting point of flavor and results. A dry skin is essential for bite through skin. I put fans on my turkeys for about an hour prior to spraying with oil and rubbing. Overnight in the fridge will also dry the skin.

If you use fat on the skin, make sure you have good smoke, not dirty smoke. Oiled or fatted skin on poultry picks up bad smoke and seems to amplify it.

I just checked and this one says with less than 6% water contained in giblets. I may just go for the dry rub on my first one as I have it made up from doing my chickens. I have a second heating element in my bradly so should be able to keep it at 275 maybe even slightly higher. I’m going to spatchcock it but just wondering if it’s still too big to fit on a rack have you guys ever just halved the turkey and smoked it that way?

I just checked and this one says with less than 6% water contained in giblets. I may just go for the dry rub on my first one as I have it made up from doing my chickens. I have a second heating element in my bradly so should be able to keep it at 275 maybe even slightly higher. I’m going to spatchcock it but just wondering if it’s still too big to fit on a rack have you guys ever just halved the turkey and smoked it that way?

Halving would be fine as well :)

If it's already brined, then I would opt for an injection instead. Tony'C makes a good one as do others, or you could make your own. Be sure to let the turkey form a pellicle before smoking it. It will help with the skin especially since your smoking it at 275*.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky