First Turkey Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

skinman

Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Hey everyone,

Been reading alot about this turkey smoking thing and I must

admit I got a little confused. I am plannin on smoking a 14 lbs fresh

turkey in my 18.5 wsm  and using the slaughterhouse brine overnite.

planning on eating at 1 pm. can I please get some ideas on when I should

start and best temps. I dont really wanna spatchcock but i would if thats the way to go..
thanks very much in advance!

icon_cool.gif

I would recommand the spatchcock method for that bird is alittle big. You have to get the bird up to 140* in a 4 hour time limit. I would allow maybe 4-5 hours for the bird to smoke. After all you can wrap it in foil and put it into a cooler for hours and it will still be hot enough to burn your hands.

Thanks so much... I will do just that... maybe keep the temps around 300??

Hey Skinman, not to disagree with an o'l veteran... but 14# is definitly within the range IMHO.  I just smoked four 12#'s last Friday, brined at 300* using apple and cherry and they were 167* in the breast afte 3.5 hours.  No need to go low and slow on the birds.  I'm guessing that a 14#'er would put you at the 4 - 4.5 hour range at those temps.

I would however spatchcock anything in the 15# + range, and like Mballi... why take the chance if you have the room?

I did a 14# bird yesterday. We ate at 2 pm. I got up at 4 am and got the smoker going and took the bird out of the brine and rinsed it, then buttered it up and put some rub on it. At 5 am the smoker was at 250* and i put the bird in. At 8 am the bird was at 140*, I turned the smoker down to 225*. At this point i started spritzing the bird with apple juice and jack daniels about every 45 minutes or so. At 1 pm the bird was at 170*, pulled it out of the smoker, foiled it, towel wrapped it, and put it into a cooler. At 2 pm I unwrapped the bird and carved it up. At 4 pm i took a nap.

I wouldn't spatchcock a 14 lb bird especially if I was going to smoke it at 275 or above personally

Hey Skinman, not to disagree with an o'l veteran... but 14# is definitly within the range IMHO.  I just smoked four 12#'s last Friday, brined at 300* using apple and cherry and they were 167* in the breast afte 3.5 hours.  No need to go low and slow on the birds.  I'm guessing that a 14#'er would put you at the 4 - 4.5 hour range at those temps.

I would however spatchcock anything in the 15# + range, and like Mballi... why take the chance if you have the room?
would going low and slow like at 220-230 benefit the turkey in anyway though? Or is it altogether pointless?  Also, when you say that the turkey was ready in around 4-4.5 hours is that including some resting time in aluminum foil or no? I have one more question actually, I know that in ribs and chuckies and such I was advised to wrap in aluminum foil and put some apple juice in it. Should I do anything of that sort to the turkeY?? 

Last Turkey I did was a 12.4 lb bird and took almost 34 minutes per/lb at 230 - 240°F, I was at exactly 4 hours into the cook when I reached 140°F, next cook I will maintain 250- 260°F until it is out of the "danger zone", this was too close for comfort.
[h1]Or you can start out at 300 degrees and slowly bring the temp down to 230-240 over the course of an hour, just make sure you will clear the danger zone.[/h1]
  • Cooking times are approximate
    • At 235°F your turkey will take 30 to 35 minutes per pound.
    • At 250°F your turkey will take 25 to 30 minutes per pound.
    • At 275°F your turkey will take 20 to 25 minutes per pound.
  • Thawing: Frozen turkey thawing timetable. Weight In refrigerator In cold water

In the Refrigerator (40°F or below)

Allow approximately 24 hours for every 4 to 5 pounds

• 4 to 12 pounds 1 to 3 days
  • 12 to 16 pounds 3 to 4 days
  • 16 to 20 pounds 4 to 5 days
  • 20 to 24 pounds 5 to 6 days

I thawed this 12.4 pound bird in the refrigerator for 5 days and had ice inside the turkey around the neck bone.

In Cold Water

Allow approximately 30 minutes per pound

• 4 to 12 pounds 2 to 6 hours
  • 12 to 16 pounds 6 to 8 hours
  • 16 to 20 pounds 8 to 10 hours
  • 20 to 24 pounds 10 to 12 hours
Change the water every 30 minutes. Cook the turkey immediately after it is thawed.

Sorry bout posting late, my SMF Subscriptions are messed up.

I will sometimes spritz, I would recommend to leave it alone on your first smoke and see how it turns out, just initially rub down with some garlic, butter and crack some pepper

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky