First Start to Finish Corned Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TXBBQinAZ

Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Chandler, AZ
Hope everyone had a nice St. Patrick's Day filled with a lot of food and adult beverages! This year I decided to make corned beef from start to finish instead of purchasing a the pre-seasoned brisket from my local grocery store. I purchased a 14 lb. packer from Costco and after trimming the excess fat, I would say that we were sitting at roughly 10 lbs .or so of brisket.
I usually brine a turkey for Thanksgiving so I knew how about the extra work that was needed, but did not realize how long I needed to brine the brisket for and the room it took up in the fridge. I started last Friday with everything and had the brisket brining until yesterday morning when I pulled it at 5:15 am. While the brisket was coming to room temperature after I rinsed it, I fired up my WSM and added three chunks of pecan wood. While the smoker was getting up to 250, I used mustard on the brisket as the binder and added pepper to it. Had the brisket on the smoker by 6:05 am and did not check the internal temp until 3 hours in. I ended up needing to reposition the brisket because the flat was roughly 15 degrees warmer than the point and I did not want to burn it. A little over 5 hours in, the flat had an IT of 174 and the point at 159, I decided to wrap the brisket so I would not dry it out. The brisket had a nice bark on it and to make sure it was going to stay moist I added a dash of Guinness on the bottom of the foil. It smoked a little quicker than I thought it would as I pulled it once it both the flat and point were at 203 to 205 and my probe going through nice and easy. With dinner being around 6:00 pm and pulling it a little after 2:00 pm I ended up wrapping it in another layer of foil and putting in a cooler. That baby stayed nice and warm after sitting in a cooler for four hours.
Tossed on my cabbage and smoked that for a few hours until it was tender.
Boiled potatoes and steamed carrots to go along with the dinner.

Brine-
Pickling Spices ( 4 TBSP)
2 GAL of water
300 G. Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
Cabbage-
Butter in the cavity
Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder

It was mighty good and even my 1 year old was happy with everything as he was in food coma yesterday after dinner!
Brine.jpg
Before Smoker.jpg
Pre Foil Wrap.jpg
Flat.jpg
Point.jpg
Dinner.jpg
Close up.jpg
Food Coma.jpg

Happy Smoking!
Stephen

The brisket looks great, but if you would have put some cure#1 in the brine you would have had pastrami, instead of smoked brisket. You may want to give that a try next time. But as I said your brisket looks amazing!
Al

The brisket looks great, but if you would have put some cure#1 in the brine you would have had pastrami, instead of smoked brisket. You may want to give that a try next time. But as I said your brisket looks amazing!
Al
Thank you Al. You read my mind as that will be my next smoke either this weekend or early next week with making pastrami!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky