First try at a Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yankeesmoker77

Original poster
Sep 23, 2013
Suffolk, VA
So I am going to be trying my first Boston Butt on Saturday morning.  I have decided to inject it, rub it an foil it.  I know everywhere I read it says 1 1/2 hours per pound, but is that really true.  I will be smoking between 235 and 250.  I have a group of people coming over and I want to ensure it would be ready by 6pm.  I was planning on putting it on the smoker at 6am.  Should I leave more time or is that enough

So I am going to be trying my first Boston Butt on Saturday morning.  I have decided to inject it, rub it an foil it.  I know everywhere I read it says 1 1/2 hours per pound, but is that really true.  I will be smoking between 235 and 250.  I have a group of people coming over and I want to ensure it would be ready by 6pm.  I was planning on putting it on the smoker at 6am.  Should I leave more time or is that enough
Hi Yank!  Your best bet is to smoke to an internal temperature.  I recommend 200* IT for pulled pork and 185 - 190 for sliced.  In the South we like to mince our BBQ (at least in Va and NC) so 175 is good if you are mincing.  1.5 hours per pound is a general rule of thumb to use just for planning purposes and you should be okay at the pit temp you are using.  It never hurts to plan on 2 hours per pound though.

BTW...you won't get any good bark by foiling.  If you like the bark I recommend planning on the long smoke and not worrying with the foil.  It will only reduce your cooking time by an hour or two anyway.  If you need it done quicker - crank up the temp to 275.  You really have to over or undercook a pork butt for it to be dry because of all the great fat marbeling in the meat.

Good luck and here is a link to some great sauces - PGSMOKER SAUCES

Bill

Good advice from PG (as always). However , you did not say what weight the butt is? Average of 7-9 pounds? If you do foil you can crank up the heat to finish faster. Either way, go by internal temp to determine done!

Mike

Well let me clarify what I am doing.  I am smoking uncovered for 3 hours then covered till done.  Using the Myron Mixon method.  The butts are between 7 and 8 lbs each (cooking 2).

Well let me clarify what I am doing.  I am smoking uncovered for 3 hours then covered till done.  Using the Myron Mixon method.  The butts are between 7 and 8 lbs each (cooking 2).
Everything above still applies.  You are looking at about 15-16 hours.  Nothing wrong with Myron's method, unless you like bark.

Have fun and good smoking!

Bill

12 hours should do. Set temp at 250. Foil when IT reaches 160. Cook to 200 IT. Rest 30 mins to 1 hour and pull.

Mike

I don't know where you got your info on Myron Mixon's "method" because he cooks butts at 350°-375°, at those temps your 7-8 lb hunks of meat will most likely be done in 6 hours. I cook mine at 300°, give or take. My last one was a 9.25 pounder that was done in 8 hrs. IMHO there is no reason to cook butts at temps as low as you propose because of the long cook times. If you cook at a higher temperature, you power right through the "stall" and you get more predictable cooks. Just for the record, I do not foil, it is not necessary at 300°, and I don't probe for doneness or check the internal temp until 6 hours into the cook.

If you put your meat on at 6AM, cook at 300° then you will be done by 2-3PM, if you cook at 235°-250° you may not be done in 12 hours.

Why did you decide to foil after 3 hours? People who foil most generally wait until the meat hits 165° internal temp before foiling, after 3 hours at 250° you still won't be near that temp.

I got the direction from his book "smoken with Myron Mixon". He specifically says cook uncovered at 250 for 3 hours then cover with foil, with apple juice on the bottom of the pan, and cvook till 205 internal. The uncover and add glaze for 1 hour adding no heat. If this is stupid please let me know.

I got the direction from his book "smoken with Myron Mixon". He specifically says cook uncovered at 250 for 3 hours then cover with foil, with apple juice on the bottom of the pan, and cvook till 205 internal. The uncover and add glaze for 1 hour adding no heat. If this is stupid please let me know.
I, in no way, characterized your plan as stupid. What you have read will work, but it will not have much smoke flavor and it will not have any of that great textured and flavorful bark developed on the outside. Good Luck
thumb1.gif

I, in no way, characterized your plan as stupid. What you have read will work, but it will not have much smoke flavor and it will not have any of that great textured and flavorful bark developed on the outside. Good Luck
thumb1.gif
Cliff after is spot on when he says it won't have much smoke and next to no bark. Most of the recipes in Mixon's book are not how he does competitions.
I just did two 10 lb butts on Tues at 285°- 300° smoker temp in 10 hrs. No stall that I know of but I didn't put my therm in until after 6 hrs, lots of bark and rolled smoke the entire cook time. Just rubbed - no injection and no brine.

Keep the Food Safety rule of getting the meat IT from 40° - 140° in 4 hours in mind if you are injecting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky