First timer with a 2 door Masterbuilt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sean641

Original poster
Dec 31, 2016
Hello, first time smoker. I got a 2 door Masterbuilt for Christmas and was trying it out today. After I had it started I found this website and started seeing a lot of the tips I wish I had seen before starting. If I use the cast iron, can I use the wood chunks then? I received chunks with the smoker and thought I had to return them because the instructions say chips only. Guess we will see how this first butt turns out in a few hours.

I'm not familiar with your smoker, but if it's propane, then yes chunks will work.

On my gasser I usually start with a mix of chips & chunks to get the smoke rolling, then switch to just chunks.

Here's how it looks when I start.

Hope this helps & welcome to the forum!

Al

If your smoker is like mine (Masterbuilt 30" 2 door propane Smoker)
I replaced the chip pan with a cast iron iron skillet and a did a few other mods.
In the skillet I primarily use chunks but I also use chips once in awhile.

Even though my manual says not to use chunks, I use them all the time with no problems.IMHO chunks burn better.

hope this helps.

r2

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a rainy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people          with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

Thanks for the tips. For those with the skillets, is it the full sided skillet or just the one with a small lip? And 8" or 10"? Thanks again. And sorry I didn't put it up above but I am from SE Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Hi Sean
I am using a standard cast iron skillet with a handle on it. I am using a 10" now. I tried an 8" but the 10" seemed to burn more evenly. The 10" just fits with the handle to the side. I also put a small wire rack in to give the skillet more room above the burner.

r2

Last edited:
I used an 8" pan with mine mainly because it was easier to snatch out and replace when adding wood. I never tried chunks. A good handful of soaked chips lasted about a half hour.

Nice! I like using chunks, like most said, I tend to hatchet mine up and use smaller pieces to prime it. I went ahead and framed and covered it too. I've run about 35 hours now and have used about 15 pounds of propane. It's still been a little challenging to hold my temperature steady, but I chalk that up to being a complete new guy. I use an 8" skillet too. Going to do a few more cooks before I revisit the needle valve install. Be well!

Very impressive. I've done the aluminum wrap on the burn pan so I can use chunks, also use a larger water pan on the bottom of the smoke chamber and purchased the remote thermometer. Going to do some ribs this weekend.

It sure has been efficient, the top board on the back is on hinges so I can adjust for smoke exhaust. I also insulated the inside. It's been 35-45 degrees here and I'm still able to smoke!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky